Sunday, August 26, 2012

It's All About Me ~ In Pictures Part Trois!


So much stress.

With my mind still on our friend in a hospital in Virginia I tucked a coughing son in bed last night and didn't think too much about it.  I had trouble sleeping but lately that isn't news but I did fall asleep until I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to a whimpering I could hear coming down the hall.  I knew that sound.



I ran to Owen's room just in time to hear him cry out, "Momma, I can't talk like normal people!"  He was hoarse, snotty and crying and the coughing he was doing was undeniably croupy.  We'd been here before but it's been like three years so I didn't see it coming.  Before Owen's second birthday we'd visited this croup bullshit ten times.  It was like an old friend.  An old friend you want to beat the shit out of.



After twenty minutes with him wrapped around the toilet I put him into our bed and slept in his after trolling the net for a while.  I fell asleep with my phone in my hand for about an hour until I heard Owen crying again.  This time when he came to me, I saw blood on his lip.  I wasn't sure where the blood came from but since he just had his tonsils out last month and he seemed to be having a hard time breathing, we got cleaned up and I took him to the ER.



Owen is 5 1/2 years old and this is his first trip to the ER so that's not really bad.  He's been to Urgent Care which is literally like taking your life into your hands since I'm convinced that's where typhoid got started.  They didn't open for another four hours and with it being Sunday, his Pediatrician was probably still in bed. They took his temp and blood pressure and he was a champ.  Then we waited.  And we waited.  And we waited.  I handled it better than he did.  I could have lived without the kids in the ER running around screaming but thankfully this ER has sliders on each room so I just locked us in.

We told stories to each other and he told me all about his Land Speeder and X-Wing Fighter.  I like listening to those stories like I don't know anything about them.  Then, as I adjusted in my chair Owen asked me why I flinched when I moved.  Here's how the conversation went:

Owen ~"Momma, Why did you (insert painful noise here) when you moved your leg?"
Me ~ "Because my legs still hurt from my night out with Mrs. Karen and Mrs. Angie.  I was dancing."
Owen ~ "How do you hurt yourself dancing?  Show me momma." 
I actually stood up and showed him.
Owen~ "Yeah, I could see why that would hurt."

Once we got the Croup diagnoses and waited forever to be discharged, we went back into the lobby where I had promised him a snack for being such a big boy.  I mean he didn't cry once.  That's certainly deserving of a bag of Cheetos, which is exactly what he picked.


After a rather nasty altercation with a drunk freak in the lobby who got to close to my kid, we got his script and headed home.  We had lunch with PePaw, who drove all the way up to stay with River since her 102 temp kept her from visiting our hurting friends in Virginia.  We'd all planned to go originally but I swear my kids get sick like this out of nowhere anytime I even mention Virginia.  Helping and visiting our friends would have been good for my soul today.

Now we're home and it's raining like our house is going to float away.  A few minutes after I took the  photo bellow, the kids were hiding in the basement.  They HATE thunder as much as I do.  Constant thunder is even worse.



Such sweet babies I have.  With the high temps and ER visits, it looks like both kids might miss the first day of school, which sucks but what can you do?  I'm glad we are forgoing the haircut so that's one less stress inducer for the week but he promised me he would allow a trim.  I need to find time to make that happen.

So, this is me today, laying on a cot in the ER with my baby while he talks to me about how you bring an At-At down.  That boy loves Star Wars!  I love my boy!

"Let us not love with words or speech...but with actions & truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment