Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle is the Hand That Rules the World

“When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.”


“Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.”



I am a stay at home mom to literally, the coolest two kids I have ever met.  They're smart, they're fun, they really genuinely love playing together.  It's nice.  They don't really fight yet and while I'm sure that day will come, Owen is and has always been very gentle with his sister so I'm not worried.


“A mother understands what a child does not say.”

It's Mother's Day.  I think it's my 5th Mother's Day. If you're a mother that works outside the home all week than I'm sure the best thing you can think to do on Mother's Day is spend time with your kids.  I get it.  You don't see them as much as you would like during the week.  It makes sense.  I'm in the other boat on this one.  I spend all week engaging my children on a mad hunt for new things to do.  I seem to always fail because my kids like to do the same things over and over.  I honestly think I could draw you a friggen blueprint of the B&O Railroad Museum because we have been there so much.  The boy likes trains, so we go whenever we can and seriously, it is drudgery for me.  I feel like a zombie when I'm there but they both love it.  If it were up to Owen, we would go there daily.



“I know how to do anything - I'm a Mom.”


River likes to be seen.  I'm not joking.  She likes to go to the mall and walk around and listen to everyone tell her how pretty she is.  It's her thing.  She gets it a lot.  I used to think it was because I dressed her so funky but it really doesn't seem to matter what she wears.  She just garnishes attention wherever she goes.  I just step aside these days and let her soak it in.  My genes will catch up with her soon enough so I want her to enjoy it while she can.  She'll start packing on the potatoes soon enough.  Tiny little thing though.  It confuses the hell out of me.


 “No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother's love.”


"As is the mother, so is her daughter."




"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children."


I spend all day, everyday with my kids.  Well, when my son isn't in his half day pre-K class.  We do a lot together.  We play, we take photos, we shop, we take photos, we meet friends, we take photos.  Our time is full so on Mother's Day, I'm going to do exactly what I want to do.  I am leaving the house early and I'm coming home late.  And I'm doing it alone.

I'm going to take my laptop and my phone and I'm going to go to Starbucks and sit and I am going to write.  At some point I plan to go and get a pedicure and perhaps a manicure because as God is my witness, my nails look like I've been walking the earth for centuries.  I don't usually have time to care about them but tomorrow I will.



"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary."


So, I will spend Mother's Day with my best friend.  She thinks I'm a great mother.  She thinks I am funny.  She thinks I am smart.  She thinks I am beautiful.  She thinks my shit doesn't stink.  She thinks I can do no wrong and she even thinks I can be an asshole but she loves me like I'm perfect.

I sure know how to pick em'!


"Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."



Some words for my babies...

If I teach you nothing else, let me teach you this.

If you love yourself, others will love you.
If you treat yourselves with kindness, others will treat you kind in return.
If you keep the sparkle in your eye, others will be drawn to it.
If you lay down, people will walk over you.
If you accept failure, you will fail.
Set the tone or others will set it for you.
Lead and people will follow.
Follow and you will be lead.
Cry when you want.
Dance when you want.
Fight!

Kick a little ass.  It's liberating.

Link

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos!!!

    The words for your babies are so true and well put!!

    Glad to find your blog!!

    New follower from the 99% blog hop!!

    Please follow back if you have time!

    www.whatjeanlikes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Hope you got your leisurely Mother's Day! Found you from the Exposure 99% blog hop - I'm at kristakat.blogspot.com if you'd like to check me out and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics!! That blue crochet hat is adorable!! Following you from Weekday Hop! Pls visit my blog http://notebookblogairy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. I agree with you. I spend all day everyday revolving around my kids. But having one day alone is indeed something we need. However, I have not recieved one of those days yet lol.
    New follower from blog hop!
    http://www.greatfamilyadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Exposure 99% weekday hop!

    Lovely pix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Also visiting from Exposure 99% weekday hop. Feel free to visit sometime. http://qcsupermom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get to have your Mother's Day all to yourself? I hope you enjoyed it and got your pedicure! I'm a working Mom, but I'm a teacher, so I get a taste of being a stay- at-home-mom every vacation. It's intense and a lot of hard work. I admire and appreciate those parents who do it.

    ReplyDelete