Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Took My Kids to Their First Protest Rally!







It's kinda sad that five people standing in the middle of the street holding hateful signs and yelling hateful things can garnish this much attention, but I couldn't in good conscience let it go by unnoticed. It's always easier to stay at home and sit on your ass and do nothing as people continue to spread hate in the name of religion. I'm just so tired of it.





I could see the police helicopter from my house as I loaded the kids into the car. But I didn't let it deter me. I wasn't the least bit afraid. Today was the day that I put my money where my mouth is. As I always said I would, today I strapped my daughter to my back and held my son's hand as I took them to Glen Burnie High School in Maryland to stand with others in a counter protest against the Westboro Baptist Church. I'll be honest, I had to Google the address because I had no idea where the high school was. I have a friend that is a teacher there but I've never been there.



When we pulled up, I was surprised at how many people were in the street. I'm not sure what I expected but so many people both young and old wasn't it. I didn't expect a local church to park their bus across the street with a sign of support taped to the side while they handed out bottled water and fruit snacks to my children. I didn't expect someone to walk around with rainbow, gay pride cookies and offer them to my children. I feel like I got more than I expected and that's nice. Also, the police were out in force so if you didn't rob a bank today in Glen Burnie, you totally missed your opportunity.



I also didn't expect the S.W.A.T. team on the roof, but that's what we got.



The S.W.A.T. team was rolling in as we walked up the street to the front of the school.




Me taking the kids wasn't a popular decision. I understand why, I just disagreed with it. I think it's never too early to teach your children about hate and intolerance and I want my kids to understand from a very early age what we as good people will tolerate. Hate is everywhere and I could have shielded my kids from the bad words we heard today but it wouldn't have helped them grow at all. Those words are still there and it does them no good if I hide them from such filth and hate. I want them to know that some things are worth fighting for and the mistreatment of others is one of those things. I want them to know that the same people who hold these terrible signs and spew this hate are the same people who told black people to sit in the back of the bus and the same people that if they were in other countries, would have bombs strapped to their backs. It's all the same hate. They may not understand it now but in my hopes of raising my babies to be good people, I want them to look back on this some day and understand what we did was important. We didn't need to wave a sign or scream at idiots for it to matter. It mattered just that we were there.








Besides taking my kids with me, perhaps the best part of the day was seeing all of these young gay people who are so proud and so kind. I mean that's what I want for my kids. If this hate weren't so sad, it would be comical. These are wonderful people who are hated by people that don't even know them. It's a tragedy. Small mindness, bigotry stupidity and hatred are always a tragedy.



I don't know who they were but a motorcycle club rode up and down the street, directly in front of the protesters the entire time we were there. When they got directly in front of the protesters, they revered their engines so loud that you couldn't hear them. When they did that, everyone cheered so loud that it gave me goose bumps. It was also nice to see the staff, including the principal stand out in front of the school after classes were dismissed, all in red.




Here are some of the fun people and fun signs they made:













Jesus was there!













So, long story short, I could do this everyday. These people were awesome and if you ever want to have a good time, go to a gay party because these people fucking rock! Total side note, one of the protesters had a sign that read "You Eat Your Kids." I don't know what that angry hater was talking about. We had toast for breakfast and as far as what my kids ate today, they stood right by me eating gay pride cookies so suck on that biotch!

8 comments:

  1. That last sign is totally confusing. WTH?

    I think you're doing a good thing- teaching your children love and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH i finally get that sign...after 2 days. I'm assuming she's talking about oral? right? (as if straight people don't also eat their kids then...) if that's not it, i still don't get it.

      Delete
  2. Bigots are just plain scary people and I agree wholeheartedly with your decision to take your kids to the protest. If not you who then to teach them about tolerance and acceptance?

    http://longislandchick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great you did that!! I've been wanting to go to a protest as well (for the labelling of GMO foods) and I think I just might do it now. Thanks for the inspiration :) Found you on the blog hop and following now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW! This is so amazing! You are so lucky to have an event like this in your area. I live in (very) rural Nova Scotia and would LOVE to teach my children acceptance in a way like this, but unfortunately acceptance isn't exactly our forte! Maybe some day!
    http://www.morethanamomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oopsie! Forgot to add, I found you on the Exposure 99% hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping by from the blog hop. new follower here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Michelle! Saw your comment and thought I'd reply here. GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organisms and it's already in production. Almost ALL High Fructose Corn Syrup is made with genetically modified corn. All soda has it, so if you drink it you are participating in the largest science experiment in the world. I love soda but GMO scares me! I've got a post coming up on it in a week or so ...

    ReplyDelete