Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolutions

It's been a long year, a long great year. I mean I have a million things to be thankful for and I go out of my way to not take any of those things for granted. There will always be things that I want and I think that's a good thing, as long as I appreciate the things I have, and I do.




However, with the knowledge I've gleamed in my life, certainly this year, I plan to shake things up a little bit and stop wasting my time on things and people that just don't matter. I made a good friend this year via Twilight of all things and I'm glad I have her in my life. Her craziness makes me more accepting of my own and that's always a good thing. She's also an excellent mom who adores her beautiful daughter and that's always nice to see in a friend. Her daughter is going to college next year as a photo major. Girl after my own heart!






I also have a really good friend who is about to give birth and I think she's a treasure. Her husband is politically misguided but I love her so much that I let it go. We should be able to start celebrating the birth of her newest youngin' soon so I'm looking forward to that. I also adore her children and love having them over. I know they drive her crazy at times but we love the Dove kids. They're so sweet when they visit and I just like hanging out with them. I hope someone says nice things like that about my own kids. My only issue with her is that she isn't finding out what the baby is. It could be a kangaroo for all I know which makes it almost impossible to shop.


Speaking of babies being born, I got to see it with my own eyes this year. I mean how cool is it to watch a life come into the world? It makes the visual of the sun being born pale by comparison and he really is such an angel. I know I was there for the birth of my own children but I spent most of that time whistling beef over the edge of an operating table so it lost it's luster a little bit. Seeing it from the other side (so to speak) was amazing, a privilege really. I'll always have a special place in my heart for little Nathan. Actually, he's not so little anymore, but just as sweet.





My husband and I went on a kickass wine weekend in Virgina with some friends. I don't even drink wine and I had a blast! That's saying something. I didn't even bitch when two minutes into the Apple Cider tasting I realized it had sulfites in it as I started to sweat and get all clammy and a big ass headache said "Oh no you don't sister!" All was good. I survived and I love this photo we forced the wine guy to take of us. This is just after the Quades lost an Olson twin between them so I'm happy there is a pregnant girl separating me from that skinny bitch. Not that I planned that...wink wink...







The truth is, I have a lot of things to be thankful for. I have an great family, wonderful friends that I adore and my kids social calender is ridiculous! They're more popular than I've ever been and I love that! I had to leave a playgroup this year and the main reason is that, I just couldn't get there. I don't feel like we left them behind, because I love those girls and we're still friends but it just wasn't working for me. I miss seeing them on a regular basis but with a kid in school five days a week, it was impossible to get there with any regularity and at some point you just have to be honest with yourself about what you're capable of. We recently went to the train museum together and I hope we get to do that often because we had a great time visiting with friends.


Beautiful kids, great moms, a lot to miss but I did the right thing. I don't function well with shit (no matter how good it is) hanging over my head. I don't like being late or not being able to get there so I put myself out of my own misery and in more way than one. Tough decision, but one I can live with. It's not like I won't see them. Birthday season is just beginning after all.



I (alone) drove my kids the twelve hours to visit my mother in Georgia. Well, the twelve hour car trip turned into fourteen but it wasn't so bad. It was actually fun! I love car trips and it was nice to visit with friends, have my kids meet my father and spend a week hunting trains with the boy. He and I even drove to see Robert Pattinson's house in Water for Elephants. It was so close. How could I not? Sigh....he's so dreamy....




This is Owen collecting a couple of rocks from the driveway. He insisted on bringing them home. I didn't argue. No one has even lived here for like 14 years.





The kids at the Parthenon






We went to see the Train Garden at Cheekwood. It was a big hit!




River with Grandpa Bert waiting for out train ride




Owen with Grammos. In his defense, the train was 15 feet away and really, really loud.


This is River taking up a whole bed in our hotel in Nashville after she projectile vomited on me in Target. Yeah, I drew on the bikini.



The kids meeting my father.








These things at Cheekwood creeped me out as a kid and after all these years, not much has changed.








But how I still love them.....






I also still appreciate my love of great music. There just isn't enough of it these days. While I didn't discover Johnny Flynn this year, my love for him grew and on a night alone, I'd rather listen to no one else. So, if I could, I'd thank him for that. Actually, I have thanked him in person but I'd like to do it again and I will.







In the end the things I have to be the most thankful of are my beautiful, sweet angelic children. So amazing and kind to each other. There are many days that I just feel like I don't deserve them but I plan to spend the rest of my life trying.



I know 2012 will be good. I've got a lot to look forward to and I'm excited for it to come! Shake off the old and insignificant and appreciate what I've got. That's my resolution and I'll get to it right after I ring in the new year with two sleeping babies, and fondue with my husband. Woot Woot!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I so love their hats?

    I was just wondering if you ever get any grief from the grandparents about Owen's hair? I ask this because my grandmother has always been on my little brother's case. He loved his long hair when he was little. And she hated it. Anyway, he's on his own, and shaggy and well, very hairy now. Still, she's furious about it.

    Sounds like you had a great year. Wishing you and your family the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't get much shit from the Grandparents but I think they'd all like us to cut it. I thought I was the last hold out until my son told me that he likes his hair long. I tihnk it's beautiful so I couldn't care less who doesn't like it. When I get a comment about it, it's almost always from an older white woman at Target. No idea why old white women at Target don't like long haird boys.

    Some of the commenst have been pretty bad. It generally ends with me telling them to fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice blog and i like it.Thanks for sharing.
    Grocery Coupon Mama

    ReplyDelete