Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thanks To My Babies


Mother's day is a day to thank Mommas. I understand that, trust me. I get it. However you can't have great momma unless you have kick ass kids, so I wanted to take a moment to thank my babies for being my babies.




For Owen & River:

Thank you for being so beautiful. I can take credit for some of it but not all. I think you're the most beautiful children I've ever seen. I feel completely comfortable saying that because I gave birth to you, I didn't mold your faces. I hope all mothers feel this way about their children.




Thank you for surviving 10 months in my belly. Thank you for surviving the pre-gestational diabetes, mono, enema, high blood pressure, the kidney stone and everything else that made for two completely miserable pregnancies. So miserable that I would never even consider trying it again but I have no reason to because I couldn't have done better than the two of you.





Thank you for eating like rabid animals and being allergic to nothing. I don't take it for granted. So many kids can't even drink milk or play in the dirt. It just makes life a lot easier when there is less to worry about.






Thank you for letting me hold you when you have nightmares and when you're scared. I consider it a priledge to be so trusted.




Thank you so much for being good friends. Nothing makes me more proud than when the mothers of your friends tell me, "My son likes playing with Owen because he said he likes the way he plays." It does my heart good that I am raising such sweet little people.


Thank you for letting us read you the same stories over and over again, sometimes for months. As tired as I am of that book, once we stop reading it, a piece of me misses it and longs to hear you repeating every word.



Thank you for allowing me to throw you great Birthday parties. I know sometimes I went overboard (IE: the tornado from the ceiling fan and the chocolate fountain) but it was so much fun, no matter how stressed I got.


Thank you for loving my music so. Few things please me more than seeing both of you run through the house singing, "Put your paws up Momma!"






While your daddy and I may have given you life, I only ask for a few things in return.


I ask that you love each other. Parents grow old and friends move away but you'll always have your sibling.

Always accept people for how they're made. There is nothing wrong with judging a book by it's cover. I've always done that and it has served me well but don't count people out because they're different, different from you or just plain different. You'll miss out on a lot of wonderful people that way.

Stand up for the little guy. It's just the right thing to do. Not everyone will be accepted by the masses and those people are almost always the most interesting. You should questions those who are loved by all because it isn't real.


Always love yourself. There will always be someone who makes fun of you for being you. Ignore them and be yourself as loud as you can. I don't know everything but I do know that being you without appologies is liberating. You're good enough. Never question that or appologize because others don't understand. Dance to the song that is in your heart and you can never fail. This is the best gift I can give you. I just hope you're listening as momma dances to her own song.





I love you.


2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    Did you get the email I sent you about taking on a blogging position for the Pasadena Patch?

    ReplyDelete