Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go!




I'm a thief. I can admit it. I steal ideas and make them my own, but I lie to my children daily with a smile on my face to keep them young and naive so this revelation shouldn't really be that big of a shock. Although in my defense, I was upfront about it. I told the person I was lifting it.

A girl a went to high school with, we'll call her Laurie Tompkins because at this moment her married name escapes me, posted something on her Facebook page yesterday that immediately tugged at my heartstrings. I'm the sentimental type which is clear to anyone who has ever stepped foot in my house and seen all the shit I can't throw away so I knew immediately I'd be stealing this idea.



She says someone gave her this amazing idea last year so it isn't a new idea but I knew I'd be doing this so I got up bright and early this morning, made sure the kids were dressed, fed and ready to go and we headed off to Barnes & Noble before the school bus came. I skipped Borders cause I wanted to avoid the mall and that stupid train at all costs!




Laurie purchased the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh the Places You'll Go!" for her young daughter last year and is having each of her teachers through the years sign it like a yearbook that she will give her as a gift when she graduates from high school. I mean really, is there anything sweeter? Such a great idea! I was able to find a nice special edition that comes in a groovy slipcover. I worried about getting one with a paper slipcover. I could see it getting ripped across the years so I opted for the cardboard box slipcover type. I think it's more durable and it was only $6 more! Also, the only other version I could find was the "party edition" with a shiny cover. I don't do shiny if I can prevent it.





Now I know there will be years when he has a teacher that he doesn't care for and certainly there will be years when I hate a few but I'm going to do it anyway. My plan is to take a photo of him with the book today, write an inscription in the front from me and then never let him see it again until the day he graduates from high school. I missed his first teacher last year but luckily she is my friend on Facebook so I'm certain I can make sure that happens. If I couldn't, I'd probably toss the whole idea completely because she was such an excellent teacher it would be worthless without her.



I'm not an idiot. I don't think he'll appreciate it when I give it to him as he graduates but perhaps when he's older, long after I'm gone, he'll appreciate what it took to keep this project going all those years and love that I did it for him and maybe do it for his own kids. I certainly think it will be nice to have a photo of yourself at 4, holding your graduation gift.




And just think, I've got a whole year before I start this with River.....

8 comments:

  1. Just don't lose the book..meanwhile..just kidding..

    My Mom took a lot of pictures of our art to put in a scrapbook..since most of it wouldn't last quite that long. She framed some of them, as well. Another way to keep those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this idea. I may have to say that I might be stealing this for my boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it Jill! It's all yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I love it! You are such a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stolen. And I am not going through the trouble of going back to Max's first teacher because I hate her. Owen's first teacher seems amazing... I see her comments on fb all the time. That is the kind of teacher that was born to work with small children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and the photo of Owen holding the book at the end of the post, totally reminds me of him as a baby. Do you see it, too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Y'all! Laura, I always see it!

    Owen's first teacher IS amazing! The only problem is that she's kind of set me up for failure becauce I will expect this kind of greatness from all of his teachers and I'll demand it which will just add to my fight.
    Thankfully Owen's momma is a fighter not a lover so I'm all good.

    ReplyDelete