Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day


I'm not sure why I think of this poem on Valentine's Day, especially since I have a really good man, but I always do. I suppose it is because there were years that I didn't. There were years I dated someone who told me he was allergic to pine so we never had a Christmas tree. Turns out he was just too lazy to buy one. There were years that I dated someone who was OK with sitting on his ass doing nothing while I went to work everyday. There were years that I forgot it was Valentine's Day because there was no reason to remember.


Not anymore. I should probably thank the morons I passed through (there weren't many) on the way to my husband because I learned a lot from them.


I learned that it doesn't matter how attractive you are if you're an asshole.
I learned that spending your days wiping someones ass, shouldn't happen unless you can claim that person on your taxes.
I learned that if you allow someone to treat you like shit, they will.
I learned that if you're incapable of ordering your own pizza, you deserve to starve to death.
I've learned that the saying "Life is too short to waste it hating someone" is complete bullshit.
I learned that I can't be with someone if dancing is their biggest fear.
I learned that if you can't fold a towel, you're not just lazy, you're lazy AND stupid.
I also learned that with age comes wisdom. So, I'm sharing this wisdom with my kids. This poem is clearly geared towards a woman but I think some men could use this advice as well, especially the sensitive ones. We waste so much time on the ones we learn the shitty lessons from. If I can save my kids from doing the same (and I know I can't) I will do that. I think the only real way to save your kids from heartache is by teaching them that when someone treats you like shit, it's OK to look them square in the eye and say "FUCK YOU!"


After a While


After a while you learn
The subtle difference between
Holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn
That kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes ahead
With the grace of a woman
Not the grief of a child

And you learn
To build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is
Too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way
Of falling down in mid flight

After a while you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much
So you plant your own garden
And decorate your own soul
Instead of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers

And you learn
That you really can endure
That you are really strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
With every good bye you learn.

8 comments:

  1. Love how much you learned through your journey's. I especially laughed at the "IF you can't order your pizza, you can starve"

    Found you on a blog hop and am a new follower. Hope you can visit me back!
    http://anirishitalianblessing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem! I wanna put this up in my daughter's room to remind her in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and amen!! Loved the whole post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I followed you on google friends from www.madamedeals.com and I am looking for blogs that want to sponsor my facebook contest if you can help head over to the discussion tab on my facebook page Madame Deals, INC. I hope you follow me back. Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem, I look forward to reading more of your posts! New follower via the Give It To Me Tara Weekend Blog Hop! :-)

    Jessica @ Just Jess
    http://jessanywhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem. I found you from the Graphic Design by Tara Weekend Blog Hop.

    http://AHootieHoot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete