Monday, February 7, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham



At my son's preschool they started a new program called "Read to me, Talk to me." Each week he gets to pick a book, bring it home and then we read it and talk about it. For the first week he chose Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham.


I knew when I pulled it out of his bag that I'd be forced to make green scrambled eggs at some point and I was right. Ever since I was pregnant with Owen, something about eggs makes me sick to my stomach. Perhaps it's the sliminess, perhaps it's because what I hold in my hand came right out of an animal's dirty parts but I personally think it is the chalice because I'm not fond of eating umbilical cord. Regardless, I knew I'd have to bite the bullet on this one. Look at me, making it all about myself again....

Anyhoo, we've read the book for several days now and have talked about it before and after we read it. I've even got him saying, "Dr. Suess is Theodor Geisel." The activity that goes along with the book is to list off a bunch of food to Owen and get him to tell me which ones are green. We did the activity tonight and he did pretty well. I listed a few things that he did not know the colour of. Grape juice, sugar, ketchup, grape jelly, mayo. I can't lie, I'm kinda proud that my baby doesn't know the colour of these fat inducing artery cloggers. He also doesn't know what colour a cherry is because Momma thinks they're the vilest things on the planet and therefor we don't keep them in the house. He knew the names of almost every green things I listed, even an artichoke. He was thrown off by lettuce, which I'll have to work on. He really doesn't eat it.
In the end, River loved her green eggs and I think Owen tolerated it for photos, which I appreciated. I like that he's sometimes open for trying new things because that isn't always the case. River on the other hand would eat your hand if you left it unguarded. You've been warned.


2 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Owen's hair! Both my older boys (ages 7 and 6) have long hair... not as long as Owen, but we are getting there! I get comments about it often (not always positive) and love spotting other boys and pointing them out to mine. They smile at the other kids like they are all in some secret club that short hairs don't get. Makes my heart all smiley :)

    ReplyDelete