Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop ~ Everything

This week's writing prompts:


1.)Have you ever had a fight with a long time best friend and never made up? Do you think about her from time to time and think about contacting her? What would you say? What if it didn't work out? What if it did?
2.) The perfect fall photo...share a picture that defines fall for you in your neck of the woods.
3.) CONTROVERSY! Are the new security measures performed by the TSA really that bad? Take a stance!
4.) What inspires you to write?
5.) If you could relive any moment in your life, what moment would you choose?



I’ll be honest, I have gone weeks without participating in Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop and it isn’t because I don’t find it interesting or because I have nothing to say (that’s almost never true) it’s because I just haven’t had time.

So before I even got the prompts for this week, I had told myself that I would do it no matter what. I’m pretty much done with Christmas shopping and I only have a few things left to make, including my 22 month old daughter’s first Christmas stocking that I never finished last year because I was so sick and in the hospital. I could and probably should have finished it over the summer, but whatever. Needless to say, I have time or at least I'd make the time to do the workshop.

Anyhoo, as always, I posted this week’s prompts above and for the first time, I could do all of them. So, instead of sitting here hashing out in my mind which one I would choose, I am choosing all of them. I think doing all five prompts gets me off the guilt hook for skipping the workshop for a while. Some are as easy as one sentence or one photograph so it isn’t like it will be a crazy 5000 word investment from the reader. Besides, I have some free time while River gnaws on her bagel and Owen licks the butter from his.

Prompt #1
Have you ever had a fight with a long time best friend and never made up? Do you think about her from time to time and think about contacting her? What would you say? What if it didn't work out? What if it did?

No. I never look back. Burnt bridges aren’t meant to be crossed again.



Prompt #2
The perfect fall photo...share a picture that defines fall for you in your neck of the woods.







Every fall I load the kids up and we drive to this park which is about 30 minutes from our house. I usually scope it out for a while to catch it at the perfect time. Right before the red leaves start to fall. I won the Trendy Tree’s Photo Challenge last week with this photo. The colours are amazing and my son’s hair is blazing!

Prompt #3
CONTROVERSY! Are the new security measures performed by the TSA really that bad? Take a stance!

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis


Look, I’ll be honest, I hate flying. There is a part of me that totally expects someone to stand up on my plane and scream “Allah Akbar!” every time I fly. Screening is a joke. I think you’re completely delusional if you think it is safer than it was before September 11th. I once flew with a steak knife I had in my purse and that was in 2003. I tossed it at an airport because I didn’t like having it but shouldn’t someone have noticed that? Also, I was flying from the DC area to San Fransisco, the same route some of those planes were taking. You’d think those people would pay more attention.

I can tell you this, neither my children nor I will EVER go through one of those sterilizing machines. I don’t give a shit where we have to go, it will never be more important than a stranger looking through my daughter’s diaper. It will never be more important than x-raying my son so strongly that he has no sperm when he needs them.




I’d like to say that I’m surprised that more people aren’t up I arms over this but why should that be shocking? Wiretapping without a warrant, illegal wars, torture and imprisonment of civilian detainees and the denial of Geneva Convention rights to enemies in war hasn’t seemed to bother anyone. It’s just business as usual while we’re raped of our civil liberties. "We're gonna make a fuckin parking lot out of Irag!" This was the redneck marching song back in 2002 when were were lied to by our own President so we'd follow him into a war because he has daddy issues. How many have died since then? Do you even know? Over 7,000. How many Iraqi civilians? Do you even care? Over 100,000, if you give a shit.




While I know that we as a country don’t seem to have a problem with gay people having zero civil liberties I thought we’d at least give a shit when that trickled down to Jim Bob Smith but we’re so stupid that we don’t just not care, we follow blindly to our own demise. We should be ashamed that we’ve marched our country to this. While I joke and say that I’d take an anal probing to get me safely to my destination, I would much rather have TSA agents who are well trained and can get off their asses instead of pointing from a chair. If you pay and train them well, it will make them care about their jobs because someone telling them in an airport not to “touch my junk” should be all it takes to make them back the fuck up. I would go to jail in a heartbeat if someone thinks they’re going to take a diaper off my daughter to make sure she isn’t carrying something she shouldn’t be. I get that you check for hot button items (bombs in shoes and laptops) but you will not be scanning or undressing either of my children.

Stop letting your government tell you what you can and will do. Those fuckers work for us!




Fourth Amendment
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Due process, who needs due process?

Prompt #4
What inspires you to write?

Music. Almost exclusively. I listen to music almost all day. I can’t remember the last time I wrote without singing. I listen to crap on the radio but that’s become rare. It’s also rare that I can buy a CD that is so good that I listen to the entire thing and enjoy it. However I bought a CD last month directly from the hand of the artist and I can’t stop listening to it. I’m obsessed with it. I listen to the whole CD a few times and then I pick one song and play it over and over. I’ll listen to the same song over 100 times in a row and never tire of it. Clearly it has to be a really good song and I’ll move to the next one once I get used to it. This isn’t new. I did the same thing when Rio came out in 1982.

I like music that is a little off the beaten path and a voice that makes you stop and listen. There are too many Taylor Swifts in the world. People who can carry a tune but when you hear them sing live you realize that someone is working magic with their ass in the studio because they warble like Yoko. These days I’m really interested in someone who can not only carry a tune, but can sing their ass off.

Here is an example. This is Johnny Flynn (who I adore) and Laura Marling singing The Water from his new CD Been Listening. This is the CD that I bought from him last month. Worth every penny. So glad I waited and didn’t buy it illegally. He is a reason not to steal music. I have a problem buying an entire CD when I know that only one song is any good and the rest of it sucks but when an entire CD is as good as the two he has, not only will I never steal your music, but I'll buy every thing you ever do, forever. His voice is inspiring. Love. Him.









Prompt #5
If you could relive any moment in your life, what moment would you choose? Write about it.





There are probably many moments in my life that I would like to relieve. The birth of my children and my wedding day are a couple of examples but even those days wouldn’t go unchanged if I had the option. While they were wonderful, distance allows me to see things I would do differently, if I could. Not big things but throwing up the entire time they were cutting my son from my womb, is something I could have done without. Throwing up after my daughter was taken out and just before my Dr came in to tell me I shouldn’t try this again, I could have skipped that. I also probably wouldn’t get married in a church, if I were afforded a do over. I know that will piss my husband off but it isn’t a reflection on him, but the catholic church so he should be able to get past it.



However I can think of some days that were perfect just the way they were. When you’re a kid and the world hasn’t bitch slapped you yet, you have days with the people you love that are wonderful. Days where you don’t really DO anything. Days when it’s OK to just BE. I can’t remember a day like that in years but I remember sitting at my grandmother’s table and I was very young. She always bought cookies for me when I stayed with her. God knows she’d never make any but she always bought Fudge Stripped cookies. I’m not a big fan of chocolate but this was more cookie and less chocolate so it wasn’t over powering. We’d put the cookie on our pinkies and see who could eat around the outside the longest before it fell off. Such a weird thing to remember when I also threw up Fruit Loops all over my Grandfather at this very same table but I guess that’s what good memories do, they stick out.



Mama's Losin' It

3 comments:

  1. That fall pic is GORGEOUS! I'd love to relive a day from my childhood- just to have a carefree day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the fall picture! It almost makes me want to leave California for good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you wrote on every single prompt! Way to go. I am super impressed.

    Music inspires me too, I haven't been molested by the TSA yet, but my turn is coming up with holiday travel and your fall photo is gorgeous!!

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete