Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Making Christmas My Bitch!


I don't know what happened to me this year. Usually I leave all the Christmas stuff til the last minute because I just don't want to deal with it. I know this might be a surprise to those who know me but I'm not a people person. I don't like crowds and strange people sucking up all my oxygen. So the thought of Christmas shopping with all the other loons is about as exciting as burrowing holes under my eyelids with a rusty nail.
I spent a day cutting all the material for bedding for River's doll bed and cradle and then spent tonight sewing. I was able to get everything done in one night! I did all her bedding, including pillows, a matching big blanket for her, a Wizard of Oz throw for her doll bed and a big one for her in the same fleece and even a large Thomas throw for Owen. My sewing machine is on fire but it kicks ass! It didn't jam once and I only had to refill the bobbin once. It was a productive night. Usually it jams a few times at least but not tonight. The only thing I have left to do it River's stocking. I didn't get it done last year because I was in the hospital so I'm finishing it now. It almost feels like her first Christmas because I was so sick last year. They tried to keep me over night on Christmas Eve! As if!
I even got the kids to visit Santa early and for the first time my son sat on his lap without a screaming match that resulted in me having to pry him from the ground he was holding onto with all his might. At 52 pounds that is pretty much out of the question this year.
We talked it up big time this year. Owen loves Thomas the Tank Engine so we told him if he wanted trains, he had to tell Santa what he wanted. I got a little teary when I heard him say, "I want Thomas trains." This is a pretty big deal for a three year old who has speech delays. It's the first year he's been able to ask us for stuff so we really want to go out of our way to get whatever he asks for. I figure if he connects the dots and remembers he asked for Santa to bring him the things he's unwrapping it will foster his belief in Santa and Christmas. This is a win win.
Also, I bought River the cutest tights to go with her $6 Christmas dress. She looked like a friggen rockstar! That kid can wear anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment