Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kennedy Krieger



Today was the day I feel like I waited for forever. I've been trying and waiting to get River into Kennedy Krieger for months. I was very excited for today so we could possibly get some answers on River's walking situation.



We had a 10 AM appointment but we were told to be there 30 minutes early to fill out paper work and go over things with a nurse. I get it. That was the plan but you take one wrong turn in downtown Baltimore and it adds 15 minutes on to your trip so we were late, but not by that much. I certainly didn't make them wait for me for four months, but I digress....




We waited in the 4th floor lobby long enough for River to play with a few toys, me to take a few photos and for Chris to walk into the bathroom before we were called. It always happens like that. You go to a restaurant and as soon as you go to pee, your food comes. We walked slow and he was able to catch up.




First we went in and the nurses, who I must admit were both very welcoming and all very kind, got River's temp, BP and her weight (24.8 pounds) and River liked it because they had a huge scale that would fit wheel chairs so she could get on and off. She was 34 inches long. I'm not sure it that's long or short for her age. I should probably look that up.




She played with the stickers the nurse gave her which was nice. I've never once been able to distract Owen with those things. He once got a shot and threw it in the nurse's face before spitting his two year old venom at her.



After we left the triage room we were moved to a pretty nice room with a big blue bed that was low enough for kids to get on and off by themselves. I thought that was nice as opposed to the high things that are usually in Drs offices. River liked it because she could run around on it.



Then we had to strip her down to her diaper. She had zero issues with this and even went toddling down the hallway checking stuff out in just a dipe. At Owen's 3 year appointment he screamed like I was cutting his hand off when I tried to take his clothes off so this was refreshing. It's a nice change of pace to not have to sit next to a kid screaming, "I want my pants, Momma, I want my pants!" for 15 minutes while you're waiting for the doctor. Also, she looks hella cute in just a dipe. I think it's the hair.

Here she is playing with a phone that I'm almost certain is left over from the Nixon administration:


She got pissed when daddy wouldn't let her play with his ring. This is her fake cry. Pretty good, huh?


Then she started to laugh when I laughed at her fake cry. No conviction.



Lovin on her bunny:


Laughing with Daddy. I've got to say that this kid has the best disposition. Except for the fake crying incident, she did great! She laughed and smiled all morning. It may have helped that those nurses loved her!

Naked baby!


Then they walked us down to the x-ray room for baby's first x-ray. I had to hold her arms above her head and Chris held her legs. She did pretty well considering. Really I think she was fine until we held her down. She's like me and can't be contained. While we were holding her she yelled, "Help! Help!" Not like she really meant it. It wasn't a scream or anything so it made me giggle. She was totally fine once we let her go and she toddled back to our room. One other thing that I liked about this hospital, they took 1 x-ray and it was perfect. We saw it on the screen immediately and by the time we got back to our room, the Dr was in the chair looking at Riv's x-ray on his screen. That's efficiency.



My baby waiting on her breakfast. I thought she might eat this sign. We got bagels and sat in the lobby and ate them, breaking her off a piece after almost every bite. To be so tiny, she eats like a wild animal but with eat bite she looked up and said, "Thank you Momma!" It was so cute and the lady behind Chris just watched her and kept turning around when she thanked me for every bite. Seriously cute. Good manners on that one!



This was the diagnoses for River:

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/femoral_anteversion.html

I would explain it but I went to art school not medical school so I'll leave it to the professionals. I will tell you that it is apparently a Congenital Postural Deformity and she was born with it. I'm glad it has a 99% rate of correcting itself over time. There is a brace she could wear that would prevent her from falling so much. It would apparently wrap around her waist and go down into her shoes and pull her foot out but the Dr said that would only stop her from falling, it wouldn't correct the problem, which we agreed was stupid. She just needs to walk as much as she can so it can get to healing. I plan to try to not use the stroller as much as I have been. I'd like to make that a thing of the past.

So, she's fine. She's in no pain and she doesn't even flinch when she trips or rolls her foot, but I hope it doesn't mean that sports are out for her in a couple of years because I'd like to get her into something. Her physical therapist suggested I get her in swimming or dance class and I might look into that after the first of the year. I know my husband will freak but maybe I could find something cheap while Owen is in school. We'll see.

So we left the Kennedy Krieger Outpatient Building and walked up to their main building to get our car which we'd left with the valet. This is River at the valet stand, unable to take her eyes off the attendant:

Seriously River, the valet is free. Save that magic for someone else.
She got a lot of attention today. I should slap that giganto bow in her hair more often:

This won the "You've got to be shitting me" award for the day:

video

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post Michelle, it oozes with your ferocious Mama lion love for your family. Glad you finally got an answer and that she's going to overcome this. If she's got any of your attitude at all, it's no wonder that falling down doesn't bother her... and that she just gets up and tries again. Congrats on an awesome appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable...hope everything turns out okay.

    Fellow Blog Hopper:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is so beautiful!nshe needs to be on magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... What wonderful pictures you have taken. She is precious. I am glad it isn't anything serious. Good luck

    ReplyDelete