Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why I Hate Politics

My husband came home late tonight because a friend at work got a new job and they planned a going away get together for him and they should have. This guy busted his ass for the company and he's moving on.

When he walked in the door he had McDonald's in one hand (nothing for me) and the mail in the other. She sat down after offering me his Mc Chicken sandwich (I quilted him) and started going through the mail which was almost nothing but political ads. Our polls open tomorrow so everyone and their mother is whoring themselves out today. I get it.

However there was this one ad that stood out more than the rest. It was from a woman named Joanna Conti. She's a Democrat running for County Executive in my county. The ad was everything that is wrong with politics and it unnerves me that she sent the ad to me directly because I am a Democrat, thinking I was going to feed into this bullshit.

The front of the ad has a photo of a white woman (this is intentional) with her head resting on her hands and it says, "Would you want your daughter working for John Leopold?" Apparently he was accused of sexually harassing some women that worked for him. I don't know if he did it and NEITHER DOES SHE! On the back it says "County Executive John Leopold Demeans Women!" I had to laugh out loud at that one because demeaning women is exactly what this ad does. It's the equivalent of John McCain picking that Alaskan dipshit to be his running mate. She's trying to get the vagina vote just like he did. It was offensive then and it's offensive now.

So in the end her ad had the opposite effect in this house than was intended. It actually made a proud lifelong Democrat plan to go out of my way not to vote for her because if the night before I vote, all you've got going for you is what someone else was accused of, that ain't much. It's actually pretty pathetic.

I sent this letter directly to her campaign. "Be the light you want to see in the world." Or at least be better than this.


Vote lost.


Mrs. Conti,


I have been a registered Democrat since I was 18 years old. I have lived in Maryland since moving from Tennessee in 1992. I have never voted for a Republican in my life. I'm your shoe in. I'm the person who will vote for you because who you're running against is not only never good enough but pushes women, minorities and almost everyone else back decades and only because they aren't white men. I thought I'd send you an email after getting your ad tonight. The one that I received the day before the polls open early and the day before I plan to vote. I thought you might want to know why I'm not voting for you.

I am not a fan of Leopold and had never even considered voting for him and won't tomorrow. However, this last minute ad you sent out was cheap a tacky. "Would you want your daughter working for John Leopold?" Is that all you have to win with? Do you have nothing better to run on than what someone was accused of? If that's it, if that's your last minute up your sleeve trick, it is tasteless and demeaning to all women. I hope this isn't how you think you're going to get the vagina vote because you aren't getting mine.

For a Democrat to win in this area is almost impossible. That ad is everything that is wrong with politics and you either know that and don't care or you're so far out of the loop that you don't deserve the office you're running for. Thanks for lowering yourself to their level and reminding me how smarmy politics can be.

You should be better than this.

5 comments:

  1. Haha - Baby we could not agree LESS on politics; I'm as conservative as they come, but I'm with you here! I cannot stand that lowball, pandering to us like we're idiots crap from any candidate from any party. Bravo. Love your letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! This is exactly why I have always hated politics. A campaign should be about what you will do in office not dirt you dig up on your opponent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I am a first-time visitor to your blog. I saw a comment you made on the "Perception is Everything" blog and decided to click-through.

    I loved your political letter. You probably won't receive a response, other than a form letter, but you did the right thing. I too have noticed that this particular ad season seems to be at an all-time low as far as below-the-belt-shots, accusations and phone calls like we've all received. So good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following from Saturday Stalk blog hop.
    Thanks
    Barbara

    http://couponscouponsandmorecoupons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m now following from Sensational Saturday Blog Hop

    Please follow back http://evoluchuns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete