Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Twilight Trip ~ Day I ~ Portland

We had to get up at 3 AM to make it to the airport for our 5:45 AM flight. We got there with plenty of time to spare but you never know with the airport. It can be hit or miss so we like to get there early. It should be illegal to ever have to get up at 3 AM and I haven't done it since my River was two months old, but it sucks!




We boarded early, one advantage of Chris breaking his foot less than a week before our trip. Once everyone boarded and the plane started to taxi, I remembered how much I loathe flying. I think I blocked it out until that very moment when my stomach started to turn and I kept repeating to myself "I love my sleeping babies, I love my sleeping babies." It actually helped so I plan to do it on the way home as well.


We had a layover at George Bush International Airport in Houston, Texas and once I stopped laughing at the fact that someone would name an airport after Mr. Out of Touch and the Fox News store we boarded our next flight to Portland. I wanted to stand around and see who would buy a Bill O'Reilly shirt but I just didn't have the kinda time.


The flight was relatively painless, although long. When we landed we had to get our bags and pick up our rental car which was a Chevy Malibu with big, ugly New Mexico tags. It was while we were waiting for our car that I decided to go to the bathroom. When I looked in the mirror I remembered the injury I'd given myself, right on my damn nose! I guess I sliced myself with my fingernail while I slept. It isn't the first time I'd done it but it really sucks for this to happen the day before a trip where I planned to take hundreds of photos of myself. Only me.



Before we went to get the car I noticed the god awful carpet in the rental car wing of the Seattle airport. I noticed it for two reasons. A, it was atrocious. I mean, really, really ugly carpet and B, because I've seen photos of Robert Pattinson walking on it when arriving in Portland. How I can't remember anything I schedule but I can remember shit like that is beyond me.




Anyhoo, we got to the Hilton in downtown Portland a little after noon which is weird since we'd left before 6 AM on only four hours sleep. We we exhausted and took a little nap after walking a bit and getting something to eat. The Twilight Convention was going on there that weekend but as far as TwiCons go, it was pretty lame. I don't have much interest on meeting the Vulturi or the Wolf Pack (I know, I know) and I've already met most of them anyway so I didn't see the need. I came for the Catherine Hardwicke tour. There was nothing else this convention offered that I hadn't already seen. I mean they had the hand model from the cover of the book. I say that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.


Since there was so much Twilight stuff to see in Portland I wanted to at least see a couple of things on the first day. Chris and I loaded up and headed for the Cullen House and the ballet studio. Edward came along for the ride.



First we stopped for lunch. Edward wasn't hungry. He's on a "special diet."





The Cullen house was within 10 minutes from our hotel in downtown Portland. The address is 3333 NW Quimby. It's on a corner and hidden from the street. If I didn't have an idea where it was, I would have missed it. I knew that new owners bought it within the last year or so and that they weren't keen on people coming up to the house and knocking on their door. I would have never done that but I did walk up the private drive and snap a few photos but mostly from the side of the house. I wasn't trying to be annoying but I was not going to come 3000 miles without seeing this kick ass house. It really is amazing and the wood is beautiful! I have no idea how they'll keep it looking like that over the years. I think it will be a fight. Half of the second floor is a gigantic cantilever. I am not a fan of cantilevers but this is the coolest one I've ever seen. Structurally I don't understand how it works but I guess that's why I'm not an architect.






After we left the Cullen house, we went to the ballet studio which was even closer to our hotel. It's a building that is for sale but the big windows that line the front made it impossible not to recognize. I was able to peek inside and see the big open space. Very cool. It's almost completely brick on the outside. It's located at 800 SE 10th Street in Portland. It's on the corner of 10th and Morrison.





It was getting late and I was trying to beat the sun. I wish there had been more daylight and was kinda pissed I missed the brighter sun but what can you do? Also, the opposite corner from the ballet studio is what looks like a pretty awesome all girl show. Who knew?








1 comment:

  1. Hey girl!! It's sooooooooooo great meet another TwiHard~! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am making my way through your Twilight trip posts!! You are sooooooooooo funny, I'm cracking up at things you say!! How cool to have seen the movie Cullen house and Ballet Studio and Bella Alley!

    ReplyDelete