Thursday, October 21, 2010

My River


For some reason I have this ridiculous idea that because I'm someones mother that I have to be a nicer person. I've attempted to go with this for a few years now, you know the whole treat people how you want to be treated bullshit. I decided today that I'm done with that. I'm reverting to the old Michelle. It just works better. That bitch gets shit done!



I have been calling Kennedy Kreiger for about four months now trying to get River seen. She's been seeing a physical therapist all this time and her Pediatrician wanted to make sure it wasn't something neurological. I didn't take it all that seriously when she said it because I really didn't think that was it at all. When she'd said this River wasn't walking yet but could stand so I wasn't sure where that was coming from. I still came home that day and called KK, but I didn't think much about it. I called the two or three numbers I was given by our Pediatrician and left several messages and over time just forgot about it. All in all I called about ten times.


River has been walking for a little over a month now and while she IS walking and staying up, she has some issues. That was clear from the beginning. Her PT said we should give it some more time to see how her walking develops. Makes sense. No need to jump into inserts or braces if you don't have to. They aren't cheap and she may not need them.


This week we met with her PT after River's had some time to adjust to walking and while she's gotten better at it, she isn't walking right. Her left foot turns in at the toes so she is walking crooked and often rolls her foot. She also slaps it down when she's walking, which is concerning. After our appointment this week which included trying a pair of inserts in her shoes, which was clear almost immediately that they wouldn't do any good, she told me I needed to take River to see a Pediatric Orthopedist and a neuromuscular doctor.


The problem isn't coming from her foot, it's coming from higher up, maybe her hip. The slapping down of her foot could mean that it's muscular. The slight bend in her left leg could mean it's a bone issue or it could be neurological. It all just makes me head spin. In my wildest most frightening dreams they have to break her leg to reset it and she's in a cast or she'll need braces for her leg. She'll need something and between now and the time we find out what, I will make up all sorts of things in my mind. I remember telling her PT that I wanted River to be able to walk by Halloween so she could walk down the sidewalk by herself in her ruby slippers. I guess I should have been more specific.


Anyhoo, to make a long story short (like I'm even capable of that) I hard assed my way into Kennedy Kreiger today by starting from scratch with all new phone numbers. I was overly pissed to discover that they had zero record of me calling all the times I called but since I got a quick appointment I'm willing to do what a rarely do and overlook that. We go in early next month and we're starting with a Pediatric Orthopedist but I stressed all of my concerns and everything River's PT and Pediatrician said about her. Had KK called me back months ago I could have gotten a jump start on the neuro concerns but again, I'm letting that go.



Everyone has dreams for their children and in the very basic level of those dreams, they're walking. Some kids are born with no chance of ever walking or walking normally and I understand that but mine wasn't and I just want to get her the help she needs to develop correctly. I don't think that's asking too much.




So, watch out bitches! There's a new sheriff in town! Well, the old one is back anyway. Do I get a badge or something?

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating! I hope she can get the help that she needs!

    My 2 year old is in love with her, btw. He's kissing her pic on my laptop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little girl.

    I am following the link you added to our Saturday Stalk blog hop...you forgot to follow me...:((
    Would appreciate a follow back
    http://debbiedoescoupons.com

    ReplyDelete