Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mama Kat's writer's Workshop ~

I'm taking a break from blogging about my Twilight trip to take part in Mama Kat's writing exercise this week. These are our prompts:


1.) ....and then I realized it was all a dream.

2.) The biggest Halloween trick (or prank) you ever pulled.

3.) Why I'm not inviting my mother to read my blog...

4.) Share a photo that represents how you see yourself.

5.) A memorable babysitting job.







I chose #4 because I always choose the prompt with a photography theme.









I think this photo represents me well. Total balls out Michelle! I don't think you'd ever know it but I am standing in front of about fifteen complete strangers in this photo. I'd never met any of them before this day. In fact I was on a walking tour in St. Helens Oregon and this was the first stop. So, I'd "known" these people for all of ten minutes, tops. Did that for one second stop me from whipping out my Nikon and taking about 30 photos of myself? Nope. I'm standing in the alley that Bella hurries down in Twilight to get away from the guys that are following her. I'm in Bella's alley! It's not like I can re shoot it if I don't get enough photos so I made it count. After the tour, I back tracked to all the locations and took more photos!



I didn't for one second stop to think about how stupid I looked OR how stupid those people probably thought I was. It didn't occur to me to worry about that. It just isn't in my personality. I chose this photo because I think it represents me well. This photo basically says, "Yeah I rock, what?" I love a photo of myself that makes me laugh every time I look at it, and this one does that. When I look at it I see the girl who thinks she totally rocks! Just looking at this photo makes me want to dance. I can almost hear the music that frequents the inside of my head. Crazy? Maybe. I just don't care.


While my packaging could use some work, inside my head, my shit doesn't stink and that's made all the difference.


I did a 31 day self portrait project on my blog (you can see it on the right side of my blog under "It's All About Me ~ In Pictures!" and it was such a good idea. I'd never been one to turn the camera on myself so there were times when it was really difficult. It started out easy, but by week two, I would rather have chewed on nails than take one more photo of myself, but I followed through and did all 31 photos. Now, I turn the camera on myself almost every day. If I'm somewhere with the kids and I'm shooting photos of them, I shoot a couple of myself. Why not? I was there too. Don't I want to be represented? I refuse to be vacant from my family photo albums. I challenge everyone else to do the same. It opened up a world for me that I didn't know I was missing. I'm sure there are times when people think I'm an ass when they see me taking photos of myself, but again, I just don't care. I refuse to come home and be sad because I didn't have the balls to do what I wanted to do for fear that I might look stupid. Life is too short for that trivial bullshit.


Another I liked:


Bella's alley:




Mama's Losin' It

5 comments:

  1. I always hate myself in pictures...that whole self portrait thing sounds interesting.

    All this Twilight talk on so many blogs. I have yet to read a book or see a movie. If I ever DO see a movie I think I will recognize many locations since a I believe a lot of it was filmed in Vancouver BC where I live

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all in the attitude! You look like you think you rock it ... so you do!!!

    And I was not aware there were Twilight tours. I'd take one only if Edward came with. ; )

    Visiting from Mama Kats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and self portraits don't always get along! I don't know why either! Everyone elses always looks so cool!

    It looks like you had great fun! And who cares what the others think if you're having fun!!

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool!i don't see anything wrong with taking a photo of yourself anywhere the drive kicks in!you're one rockin' mom!keep on rollin!

    ReplyDelete