Monday, September 20, 2010

Fuck You Diabetes!

About three months ago I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I'd had really bad gestational and pre-gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant with the kids and my mother's side of the family is riddled with it so it wasn't a shock by any stretch, but it still sucked.


I decided that day that I was going to change the way I did things. I have diabetes and no matter what my blood sugar is, I will always be someone who has diabetes. That's the way I've chosen to look at it. My theory is that I could tell myself "I could have a little cupcake, it won't kill me" or I could look at it from another perspective. The perspective I settled on was "I could eat that cupcake or I could live to see my children graduate from high school." The (enter any sweets here) will never taste as good as living a longer life. I'm not saying that I will never have anything sweet because I will. It isn't realistic to say I won't and to be honest, some times my blood sugar is low and I need it. But I will never sit around and eat a container of Reese's Pieces. I just don't have that luxury and my ass wouldn't approve.



While I wasn't put back on the insulin I had to take when I was pregnant, my Dr had me on Metformin and increased (doubled) it just three months ago. Because I think that checking your weight daily is oppressive and depressing, I haven't done it all summer. I don't even listen when I've had Drs appointments because I wanted to see if living better while not obsessing about my weight would change anything. Now I know I've been losing weight because I had to go shopping for jeans a few weeks ago and I'd dropped a size. Since the beginning of the summer I've lost 26 pounds! I've been exercising. I cut my portion sizes and I've just been eating better. I don't feel like I've lost that much weight and I don't feel like I look like I've lost that much weight but is sure is a great feeling! Yay Me!

When I was diagnosed three months ago, my fasting numbers were 128-144. It should be just bellow 100. So I was high. In the last two weeks it's been 44-88. Very low so I decided to do some testing to see what certain foods would do to my blood sugar. One night before bed I had a yogurt and half a Hershey's bar. The yogurt was low fat but still 16 carbs, which turn to sugar. With all that, an hour before bed, my BS was 78 the next morning which meant something was wrong. That is just too low for me. So, I called my Endocrinologist this morning to tell her what was going on. I gave all the info to her nurse and waited for a call back. My assumption was that they would cut my medicine back to what it had been before. I thought that made sense. I was surprised when my Dr called me back and told me to stop taking the medicine completely! She was concerned that with the weight loss that the medicine wasn't necessary anymore. So, I will spend the next week checking my BS like crazy and keeping track of the numbers to send to my Dr on Monday. I hope my numbers will be good and she'll say I don't need to be on the medicine but it's possible that I could still need some. I know I was taking too much because I just don't eat enough to keep my BS out of the crapper. My BS got so low that I carried a candy bar in my bag just in case and had to bust into it a few times. No fat chick should be carrying candy in her bag, let alone a diabetic. It makes me think of Steel Magnolias when they had to give Shelby the orange juice a the beauty salon. Not a good thought. I haven't taken any of the medicine today and I already feel better. That's pretty telling. Low BS makes you feel shaky and nauseous. Not a good feeling.

This is all good news because I had a major fear of having to go back on insulin. The thought of giving myself a shot three or four times a day for the rest of my life like I had to do when I was pregnant was unacceptable to me. I guess a good healthy dose of the fear of God is good for anyone.

Also, my ass is smaller.

Diabetes 0
Michelle 1

Yay me!





Tuesday Tag-Along


12 comments:

  1. I think when you're hit with both weight and diabetes, it just slams you like nothing else. It sucks I know. I'm with you on this.

    I am glad you came along for the ride with us today. Have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post. Its inspirational. I've also given you http://heismybeloved.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a proud new follower from Tuesday Tag-A-Long. I'd love a follow back.

    www.frugalformyfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks. But you sound like a pretty strong person. So I think you will win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so bad-ass! Love it! Can I use the sarcasm poster on my blog? I LOVE it!

    I'm following you from Tuesday Tagalong!

    Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on making the changes and going off medication. That is just amazing and you should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the weight loss! AND being able to go off the meds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge congrats on the weight loss and I'm crossing everything for ya that you get to stay off the meds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on making big changes! I have a chronic illness and sometimes I have to make the same decisions. Life always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Michelle, that's fantastic news! And, yes, you can tell you've lost weight. I remember thinking that when we were at Kinder a while back...you were running after River. I love how you just got it done. You rock! :)

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I mean not for the diabetes, but good for you for taking the onus to do something about it and having it pay off. I'm your newest follower from Tag-Along Tuesday... a little late, but I'm playing catch-up today!

    ReplyDelete