Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday ~ I'm Skipping My 20 Year Reunion


Me in the 10th grade. Still makes me laugh.


It wasn't as easy a decision as I thought it was going to be. I can't say I was a big fan of high school and I wasn't completely sure that 20 years was enough time to get over how much I hated it then or to stomach some of those evil bitches that nauseated me but I was considering giving it a try.

When I first got the Facebook message from the president of the student body or student council president, whatever he was, I was nice about it because I actually liked him, but I was still certain that I wouldn't even entertain the idea of driving all that way for a night of annoyance and fluffy girls acting like they always liked me. I have never suffered from the affliction of acting like I like people that I don't so sitting around and chatting with all of those people from my high school which can only be described as cheerleading hell makes me want to smash my head through a wall.


I didn't sign up for Facebook to find all of the girlfriends I loved so much in high school, I signed up to find one particular friend that I'd lost touch with and it worked. I found her but I also found people I loved, liked and barely tolerated. I've never "defriended" anyone on Facebook but I sure as shit have hidden quite a few. At some point you get tired of the fluffy chick that married the equally fluffy football player with bad skin telling you how wonderful their life is together. I mean I remember them both and he was a pig. While I'm sure he's a nice guy and I can only hope his skin has cleared up, I'm also sure he's probably balling her sister but whatever. We all have our crosses to bear.


Part of me would like to go to my reunion and if I still lived in Nashville, I would go but driving my family over 700 miles to go to a reunion where I might have something to say to maybe 5 or 6 people seems like a waste. It's in the middle of the school year so I don't know how we'd safely do it without Owen missing a day or two of school. It's not like my family lives there anymore so it's a logistical nightmare. It makes me think that class reunions are for people who still live in the city where they went to high school. The girl I originally moved up here with who lives in Sykesville is going but her parents still live in Nashville. If Momma lived there it would be a no brainer.


So, part of me feels like the girl without a prom date who sits at home and misses the fun. Not that I know what that feels like because I slapped on a $36 vintage black dress and went to prom, but you know what I mean. If the planets aligned I would go and as much as I skeeved high school, there were some people I liked even if most of them made me puke in my mouth daily. I wasn't popular. I think infamous is a better word. I may not have been friends with the fluffy girls but they all knew who I was. They were the "fluffy bitches" and I was "she's mean," Whatever, it worked for me.


I mean come on, the captains of the cheerleading team were Buffy and Glenda and I AM NOT making that shit up! Buffy was nice and still is I think. I'd known her since the 5th grade and while we were complete opposites in high school, we were always nice to each other but Glenda was a big ole' frosted nightmare! Uggghhhh...See, this is what would happen all night. I'd spot a bitch like Glenda who we'd like to think has changed since high school but since I haven't, I hold out little hope that she has and I'd crack on her. I can do that at home for free by hacking into her Facebook page. This way is much cheaper. I'm a revolutionary!


I'm OK with skipping my reunion but it sure would be nice to get the people together that I did like and have a beer or ten. Oh, the things we'd come up with! Just remembering some of the crazy shit I did would be worth the drive. Maybe it will be easier in ten years. I know I'm not interested in visiting my old high school. I went there last year while on my way to see my sister. I had the kids with me and I almost wanted to cry when I saw Johnny O. It looked like an inner city school and it was a huge school with a gigantic band and sports teams that the school sold it's soul for. Now it looks run down and instead of the student sneaking a smoke under the bleachers, they might be shooting up heroin. When I was in school in NYC, I went to see my high school marching band in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Now the whole area looks like it's been shit on. Oh how the mighty have fallen.


I remember once they thought there wasn't enough school spirit so they made us memorize the Alma Mater. What kind of bullshit is that? I cheated on principle. Wrote it across my leg and wore a long skirt. I still don't feel bad about it. So take that, fluffy bitches!


I found this on YouTube for some ungodly reason and I think it sounds just horrible. I'm not even sure why they made it. "If you're a sheep dog, here's how it might sound." What's the point? I won't even get into the fact that John Overton was a slave owner. I have no idea why they named a school after him. Well, it IS Nashville.



Wow, I don't miss high school AT ALL!




4 comments:

  1. You know, sometimes high school reunions are a good way to realize just how far we've come and how much we've grown. You have a helluva lot going for you, and reuniting with these people would create a moment in time that may be important...sorry, i'm waxing all philosophical tonight. But it's just that I feel that sometimes, somethings happen for a reason. You have so much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gone to mine, either. I just don't see the point. I don't even accept friend requests on facebook of people that I wasn't friends with back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from PHYO - I'll admit it was the picture that caught my attention - and so glad I did. This post was hilarious and oh-so-true. My 10 year reunion is next summer and I'm undecided on going. I intentionally left my maiden name off my Facebook just so some of those assholes I went to high school with wouldn't request me - I figure they didn't talk to me then, why would I want them to now?? - so I kind of wonder if I'll be the snarky drunk talking shit in the back corner at the reunion anyways.

    Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skipped my 10 year and I'm glad I did. It was about the time I was invited to a "rager" after the reunion that I realized I still don't have anything in common with these people!

    ReplyDelete