Saturday, August 7, 2010

Music I Love ~ Day XVII

I'm a sucker for rap music, always have been. In fact, when I was pregnant with my son, I listened to so much hip hop that I actually asked my OB if it was damaging to my son. I'd heard that the books you read to your kid while they were still cooking, they responded to more when you read the same books to them after they were born so I thought that maybe Dr. Dre's "Fuck wit Dre" might be warping his tiny little mind.

After she stopped laughing she assured me that I could listen to anything I wanted before Owen was born but suggested I "throw it out the window" when he was finally here. I didn't do that and save music like that for when my kids aren't around but I understood the sentiment. I love rap music more than I love any other genre as a whole. I can always find something to listen to and I can't stand the clean versions. It's like learning a whole new song.



Men have dominated rap music for as long as it's been around and they've done a pretty good job. However from time to time there have been women who have stood out and I can't think of anyone who did it better than Salt N Peppa. They owned the early 90s and this song was the biggest!



When I first moved to Maryland this song was really big. I think it came out in 1993ish and was on the album Very Necessary but don't quote me on that. They had lots of great songs but this was my favorite! I remember riding around in my car and listening to this song as loud as it would go. I couldn't get enough of it! I think it's the reason I like men in black jeans.



I think SnP broke up before 2000 and I'm still pissed about it. I think they had a lot more in them but I would assume that it's tougher for women in that industry than it is for men



Anyhoo, Shoop by salt n Peppa. Still. Love. It.


No comments:

Post a Comment