Monday, August 9, 2010

Music I Love ~ Day XIX

I think Cyndi Lauper is the best female voice to come out of the 80s. As much as I love Madonna, she can't reach the octave range that Cyndi Lauper can, not even close.

She's 57 years old but you'd never know it. She looks fabulous and her voice still sounds great! She was on Celebreity Apprentice last season but she couldn't compete with Brett Michaels Subarachnoid hemorrhage so she didn't win. That season did teach me one thing thought, Holly Robinson Peete is an annoying bitch.

Anyhoo, She's So Unusual came out in 1983 and I remember buying it immediately. Even in my Duran Duran fog I loved Cyndi Lauper. I remember buying those earrings she wears in the Girls Just Want to Have Fun video and wearing them to death. This is about the time I took a pair of scissors to my hair and started under one ear and cut all the way across the back of my hair in a sharp downward curve. When I was finished I had very long hair on one side and very short hair on the other but it was the 80s so I could get away with it. I also drew my eye shadow straight up in many colours as opposed to along the eye. Such a freak but so much fun!

She really was the shit in the 80s and her voice has really held up after all these years. I can't say that I ever got the whole wrestling thing, but that's fine. These two are my favorite songs of hers and I played them both at our wedding reception. True Colours (1986)I think is from the album of the same name and That's What I Think is from Hat Full of Stars which I think came out in 1993-94. She also has a couple of Greatest Hits CDs which are excellent. Sally's Pigeons is another of her songs that I love and I think that was on Hat Full of Stars as well. I added it at the bottom because her voice is incredible in that song. All of her albums are excellent because her voice is incredible. I also think she isn't full of shit and is just plain weird. I like people who are weird and don't just do it for the sake of others. That annoys me.

I love her!











No comments:

Post a Comment