Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop ~ Summer


This week Mama Kat gave us these five prompts:

1.) Your childhood neighborhood.
2.) I was holding on tight but...

3.) "It was as if an invisible thread hooked her to her boy. The thread could go taut or slack but it could never come undone, it could never reach the end of its spool because there was no end; it bound them forever." What does unconditional love mean to you?


4.) Can it be saved? Think of something that is ruined when it's totally wet: like a newspaper or a piece of cheese. Write a scene (truth or fiction) that involves you and a soaked item.


5.) What five images paint a perfect picture of summer to you? Put those five images together in a piece of writing.


My choice was clear.

Before I had kids, summer didn't mean much. I guess summer meant that I could wear shorts and sandals but nothing really changed a lot from season to season. In my old life I sold new homes and I worked on weekends and had days off during the week. So the weekend didn't really mean too much either. Once I had kids that all went out the window.

Once Owen came along, I quit my job and was able to stay home with him. I got to see him do everything. I was there when he walked, talked, sang, danced and first said "I love you, Momma!" These are things I cherish and don't take for granted. I've been lucky to have so much time with them. I love my time with my kids so much that the thought of going back to work makes me sick to my stomach. I never though that would be true before my babies came along.


We do things in the summer like go to the pool, have playdates at the park with friends, watch airplanes takeoff and land at the airport and even took a vacation with both kids to the beach. I love talking photos of my kids on the beach. You have to be a really shitty photographer to get bad beach photos because everyone looks good on the beach! The sun, the water, the smiles. You just can't go wrong. I've always photographing moving water. That may be because I am petrified of it. There's a story there and while I may not want to know the whole story, I like getting a snippet.

Some of my favorite summer photos are simple. I just want my kids to look beautiful and they do that without help from me. All I ask is that they occasionally look my way.
Few things are more beautiful than the amazement in my son's eyes when he sees an airplane landing right in front of him. He stares at it from the time he sees the lights in the sky until it hits the tarmac with a screech you seem to hear for miles. Even at a young age he seems to like to know what makes things work. I like to think that in his life that will take him places that I can't even imagine.
I love that during the summer (and even into fall) the way my daughter's beautiful blue eyes look against a bright green canvas of grass. It's almost like it was put there for her eyes to bounce off of.
I love feeling safe that my children are playing with people that I trust. It's a wonderful feeling to look over and see your baby with someone else and they're smiling and giggling and feeling safe themselves. They may take it for granted that I leave them in the pool with my children, but I don't know how to swim so I have a natural visceral fear of the water and it says a lot about my feelings for you as a friend that I trust you near water with my children. My kids just love the water, especially River and summer affords them the time to be fish.

The photo that screams summer to me more than any other is the first photo I posted. There is no sun, there is no water and there is no sand. I took this photo of me holding my daughter's hand while she laid on a hotel bed with her doll in Virginia Beach. She wrapped her fingers around mine and even though we were there at the beach for maybe four days and I took hundreds of great photos, this was my favorite. Her fingers are so delicate and sweet and it quickly became the stand out for the whole trip. Now when I think of summer, going to the beach and spending lots of time with my kids, I think of this photo.
A perfect summer for me is lots of time with my family, relaxing. We don't always get the relaxing part, but we're always together. That's what's important.


Mama's Losin' It

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your photos! And the sentiment behind them...the lazy days of summer. You reminded to enjoy the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures. What a memorable summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Mama Kats...
    I love your photos and I love the picture you paint of summer with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower from the blog hop. What a great post and beautiful pictures.

    Lydia
    www.ontheverge6.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness those eyes are to die for! I'd do nothing but photograph them either! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lost to what summer means to me anymore.
    My kids are older so things change.

    Summer this year for me has been , laying out in the sun, concerts, BBQ's, and Margaritas.

    oh and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! I can see how the first one would be your favorite, it's precious! I loved getting pictures of their tiny hands and feet...still do and my baby is 10!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post! Great photos and wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete