Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop ~ The Most Unbelievable Blue Eyes I've Even Seen!






Since I first discovered it, I make a point of doing Mama Kat’s writing exercise every week. I didn’t do it last week because none of the prompts grabbed me. I felt bad about not at least trying but nothing moved me. I need to be moved. This week is completely different. I had a post in my mind for every single prompt. These are the prompts I had to choose from:


1.) Lou Holtz (don't ask me who that is) once said, "Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."
Do you believe this? Describe a time when you feel like you could have responded a different way and produced a different outcome.
2.) I miss the friend you used to be. (The Myth of You and Me)
3.) The most unbelievable blue eyes you've ever seen...

4.) The craziest reason I ever got in trouble as a child.
5.) What would you ask forgiveness for?

I chose #3. Those who know me and have met my beautiful blue eyed daughter aren’t surprised.





My daughter was born on a Tuesday but not just any Tuesday. She was born on Inauguration Day and I was very proud of that. Not just because I voted for Obama but because I didn’t think our country had it within ourselves to vote for a black man to be our President. Even as I voted I didn’t believe it would ever happen. No one was as shocked as me when he actually won. I thought for sure we’d do to ourselves what we’d done four years before and bend over while taking it up the ass from the Republican Party. I was glad to see that wasn’t the case but this post isn’t about our President, it’s about the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen.





I remember the day my daughter was born for more reasons than the Inauguration Day traffic in DC, or the chill in the air. I remember driving to the hospital at 6 AM for my scheduled c-section. I had Gestational Diabetes pretty bad with both my pregnancies and was insulin dependent. The amount of insulin I was taking the day before I gave birth was ridiculous! I obviously couldn’t eat or take my insulin the day of so I wasn’t feeling all that great. I laid around while being poked and prodded and my water actually broke while I waited for my nerve block. Not that it mattered, I was getting a c-section no matter what.




Less than an hour after my water broke, I was a mother for the second and last time. I knew as I was carrying her that she was my last hurrah in the world of miserable pregnancies and I was just glad and felt privileged to be able to carry her full term, well 39 weeks anyway. So when my OB came into the recovery room and told me that I should not consider having more children, it wasn't the shock it would have been just a year before. If she'd told me that as I lay holding my son just two years before, I would have been devastated. Apparently I had issues and was told that my womb was paper thin and could easily burts if I tried it again. Even thought it was our plan to have no more children, it still stung a little bit. I like to do things on my terms and this felt almost like someone else made the decision for me and I didn't like that but what are you gonna do? I had the two most beautiful babies I'd ever seen. How could I not be happy with that?







My daughter was out before I’d realized it and soon I saw those tiny blue eyes screaming just inches from my face. They were the brightest blue eyes I’d ever seen! I remember thinking two things, thank God she has lips (because I don’t) and I hope her eyes stay that colour. Fast forward 18 months and her eyes are still the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen! Absolutely breathtaking! She may have gotten the blue eyes from me, but my eyes don't look like that! Her eyes stop people in their tracks and make them come over to her and say Hi. She has the kind of eyes that inspire. I have often taken her out in the middle of a green field and taken hundreds of pictures of them. They're amazing in the sunlight and when she screams they look like they're going to shoot off her face! They are deep, beautiful and fierce, just like she is.



Go River!

Mama's Losin' It

6 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from Mama Kat's ... she is beautiful and you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a peek via Mama Kat's, great minds think alike!
    http://www.caseyandcolter.net/?p=2440

    Your daughter is gorgeous, and those eyes are just stunning. I reacted just the same to last week vs. this week's prompts and only wished I had the time to respond to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does have some stunning blue eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those eyes are incredible! I also wrote about this prompt as my daughter has some striking eyes herself. I know exactly what you mean about how they draw people in. Everyone wants to come visit her...which honestly is pretty ego boosting for her mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beautiful baby! Sorry we missed you on Wednesday:(

    ReplyDelete