Thursday, July 8, 2010

Writer's Workshop ~ Photos Yet to Be Hung



A blog I follow does a writer's workshop and each week gives you several prompts to choose from. I chose #4 because if there are photographs in the prompt, I will always pick that one. So, here it goes. I listed the choices below.


1.) What would you change about your life if you could?
2.) I wish I would have…describe a time when you didn’t take action, but later wished you would have.
3.) A collector you know.
4.) Photographs can turn a house into a home. Share a photograph that is not on your wall, but should be…if you weren’t so lazy about actually putting it there.
5.) Write a list of 100 things you want to do before you turn 100. Otherwise known as a “bucket list”.



Laziness doesn't play a part of photographs not being on my walls. The truth is, I have way too many photographs that I love and just don't have room for all the great photos of my children that I would like to be able to look at daily.


Both of my children are not only beautiful, they are photogenic as well, Owen more so than River. I can't even tell you how many photos I have taken of them but if I had to guestimate by my crawling computer I would say it's well over 25,000. I had 10,000+ of Owen before River was even born! Now I know this is a ridiculous amount of photos to be taking but I miss nothing. I take pictures of everything they do. I then either scrapbook them or make photobooks online at Winkflash. They make the best photobooks at the lowest cost and their paper feels like silk. I even made a couple a books with photos from my wedding and honeymoon and they turned out great! I also have a photo sharing website for my family and friends to keep up with the kids and their busy lives. They're both social butterflies so we're always on the go.


Anyhoo, I couldn't decide which photo I wanted to use for this post so I picked two. The first one is of my son after he got into his Easter basket and discovered a Lemondrop. Hilarity ensued and he just stared at me when I laughed as he ate it. I actually really wanted the Lemondrop but he wouldn't share so I let him suffer through the whole thing with eyes full of both wonder and confusion.
The second photo is one from a series I took of my daughter in our backyard. I bought her two knit hats and when I got home and put them on her, I knew I'd buy more. I probably bought them more for the pictures I'd take of her in them but regardless of my reasoning, she looked so cute that I went back to the store the next day and bought 4 more.
I don't think you can ever take too many pictures period, certainly not of your children. I could never go a day where I didn't take a photo of each of my children and if I were to, it would be because I was very sick. I think the last full day that went by without my camera touching my hand was in December when I was in the hospital.
My husband often says to me, "Why don't you put the camera down and enjoy the kids?" What he doesn't understand is that that IS how I enjoy my kids. I tend to see them in frames and I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a camera with them at all times. Things go by so quickly and I don't want to miss or forget anything.
I will be sending my Nikon in soon to have it adjusted before the warranty runs out and I get the shudders worrying about how I'll survive without it. I have a backup Nikon but it isn't the same. I'm use to the way my camera fits in my hand. I don't have to look at it much to adjust ISO and other things. I can feel it with my fingers. I hate the thought of not having that for a while and wonder about the pictures I will miss. This must be what it feels like for a junkie to go a week without crack.
So in the end I think both of the photos should be on my wall and with the clarity of each, I think they should be blown up to cover maximum wall space. I'm not sure if that will ever happen but I like the visual it creates in my mind. The truth is that I have thousands of photographs that aren't of my children that are worthy of wall space. I have remarkable photos from our honeymoon but can't justify hanging up a photo of the Sistine Chapel or The Louvre when I'd much rather stare at this sunshine my husband and I created.
Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop if you're interested:

http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/

6 comments:

  1. You are right, you're children are incredibly photogenic. They are sooo cute! :)

    I agree.. I would take as many photos as I could. I'm sure that if I had children, I'd be following them around with a camera 24/7.

    I'm going to check out WinkFlash - I'm attempting to make a photobook of my wedding - and so far have been doing it on shutterfly, but I'm not sure how good their photo books are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I will have to go to winkflash and check them out! I am going to try and get better at framing my photos LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! They will look great blown up! I did a bunch of photos on canvas to hang on the wall, and they still haven't made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my that hat... my daughter needs a few of those! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to do "Write a list of 100 things you want to do before you turn 100. Otherwise known as a “bucket list”. Love it! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. girl, i was reading your blog but had to run out to do an errand. when i came back you had left a comment on mine lol! thanks for visiting. great to er, meet you. that picture up top is PRICELESS. what a doll! hope you're having a great weekend. jill

    ReplyDelete