Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why I'll Never Grow Up




And why I'm not ashamed.


As I've mentioned, I will be 40 next month and unlike most people, I revel in it. I am waaaaaayyy cooler than I thought 40 was going to be. I think it's when you stop noticing pictures like the ones I posted above that you start getting old. I tried taking the "Fat Chicks Rock" picture for months and finally just pulled over on the Interstate on the way home from the zoo. It made a lot more sense than drive by picture taking which I've done. I didn't say I was proud of it, but I've done it.

I love sitting with my kids watching Thomas and Friends and giggling when Thomas or Percy "toots." Juvenile, sure but who cares? A friend mentioned the other day that he laughs when he drives over Assawoman Bay. Umm, so do I and I don't want to be the kind of person who doesn't. Life is way too short and maturity is totally overrated. It doesn't make me feel any smarter or mature to be someone who wonders why people don't wash their cars, match their kids clothes better or checks the grammar of others. I mean I expect it from my mother cause she's my mom but I don't want to be that person.


I'm a new mom. My oldest isn't even 3 1/2 yet so to me, some things are certain. I'm just filled with glee that I missed the hay day of the Teletubbies because that may be some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. I'd like to meet the jackass who thought having your kid run around talking about tubby custard in a baby voice was a good idea. How does that not make your kid revert? Also, I missed this whole Greg Wiggle thing. To me the only yellow Wiggle is Sam. It helps that he isn't lanky, is more attractive and can sing better. I mean I'm sure Greg is a real nice guy and is sitting pretty from the money he continues to make from The Wiggles, but I like Sam. Not to mention when I watch the old Wiggles on Sprout it's like stepping back in time. Everyone looks terrible and the sets look like they were built with Popsicle sticks and Crayolas. I don't even know why they show the old ones when the new ones are so much better. While I'm on the subject, I hate Sprout. They basically take a show that is 22 minutes long, cram it down to 17 minutes and then have a talking bird yap over the show. Sprout totally ruined The Wiggles for us and we can only watch it now because we still have 5 shows DVRd from when it was still on Playhouse Disney, a real channel. My son cried when he tried to watch it when it was first on Sprout. Had he been able to speak clearly, he would have said, STFU and let me watch the Wiggles!" That's what I got out of his screams anyway.


We took Owen to Hershey, PA and into DC to see The Wiggles when they were (still on Playhouse Disney) on tour and he loved it! He was a little afraid when the lights went down but once he realized who they were, he went crazy and clapped and danced like a wild man. It was great to see the realization and then the smile on his face. We took River with us to the show in DC. She didn't hate it but wasn't old enough to fall in love yet so she didn't understand the importance of Owen jumping up and giving Sam a high five or why it brought tears to my eyes but she'll get it when she finds her thing.
Clearly, from the photo I posted bellow, Owen and Sam are close personal friends.





My son just discovered Thomas the Tank Engine a couple of weeks ago. Besides the fact that the Thomas toys that are sold are ridiculously expensive, I can deal. It's nice that Owen now calls Sir. Toppin Hat by his name instead of "The Creepy Guy." I do have one question. Am I the only one that thinks Sir Toppin Hat is an ass and his mother is a whinny bitch? Now I don't have a train but if I did I wouldn't let my mother talk to it like that. I mean Thomas is "the cheeky one," but he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment!
I guess my point is that every kid deserves to go through a time in their lives when farts are funny and eating smores for breakfast makes perfectly good sense. Some people just never grow out of that.

10 comments:

  1. Those signs are great! I was never crazy about the Wiggles but I'm not sure I like this new stage of Justin B..whatever his name is & Jonas Bros that my youngest is going through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugggh, the Jonas Brothers. I said I wanted to stay young not applaud zero talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, thank you SO much for your kind words! It really means a lot from someone who KNOWS what they are talking about :)

    I hope you do visit One Fine Wire again soon! I look forward to seeing you there...who knows, I may ask your opinion on other things as well!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great signs! I agree; 40 is a great age. However, 50 is even better, so you've got something to look forward to. :)

    Visiting from The Lady Bloggers Tea Party Social. Thanks for the visit.

    Jane
    http://www.frugalfineliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and stealing it! I am visiting from the LBS and that photo of your little girl is gorgeous! (not the photo of your little girl but the you've been noticed one)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ethan loves Disney Channel. And I have to admit, I love watching it with him. Will be 40 next year, but refuse to be over 27!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
    Tima

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured. Not trying to creep up on you, I just noticed too many things about your posts that seeemed familiar.

    Michelle
    http://pietrosmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fuck yes fat chicks rock! Just saying, I would not hate it at all if Thomas the Stupid Ass Tank Engine steamed right off a cliff and perished in a fiery crash. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those signs are awesome. I completely agree- you only get old when you let yourself get old.

    PS. I love the name River.

    PPS. I answered your question in my comments section.

    ReplyDelete