Thursday, July 22, 2010

Three Weeks of Music I Love ~ Day II

I've always loved The Wizard of Oz. It has been my favorite movie for as long as I can remember. I've seen it more times than any other movie, even Twilight hasn't surpassed that. When I was in school, there was a time when I would come home and watch it everyday before starting the dishes five minutes before my mother got home from work. So with my long history with Oz, I was afraid to see Wicked when I first had the chance because I worried that it would make me sympathetic towards the Wicked Witch. As it turns out it kind of does but it didn't bother me. It's always good to see the other side of the story, even if it is Oz.

I saw it with my husband at the Gershwin back before we had kids and I loved it so much that I cried a bit during this song and it wasn't even the finale. It was really, really good and I'm one of those people that is impressed by absolutly nothing. I actually went in thinking they were going to totally screw it up and ruin The Wizard of Oz forever for me, but they clearly didn't. I loved it so much that when my husband and I were in London for our honeymoon we saw it again. Idina Menzel was playing Elphaba in London. She's the one doing Elphaba here and she's amazing! Also, Kristin Chenoweth as Glenda? She was perfect! If you get a chance to see it, you should because it is worth every penny!

I chose this song because it's ridiculously well performed. The part that I posted bellow is my favorite part of the song and something I've have sung to both my children on many occasions. Any message that says try before you count yourself out and don't let anyone else tell you what you're capable of is a good one that can go along way. Imagine where we'd be as a people if all kids were taught these simple things.


"I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!"









2 comments:

  1. I loved the book ~ I haven't yet seen the musical, one day...loved the lyrics you quoted. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest Follower from Surfin' Saturday. I hope you can stop in and see me sometime at www.hootiebee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete