Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday ~ Diabetes Cookbooks Are A Joke!


Learning that you have diabetes is hard enough, learning what you can eat is almost impossible. When I had gestational diabetes with the kids it was easier. You eat cardboard for 9 months and you deal because it's what you need to do. It is unrealistic to think that I could eat that way for the rest of my life. With this new diagnosis I decided to do a search for good books to help me understand what I'm dealing with and what I need to do. I thought it important to learn good low carb, low sugar food choices so I went to the library tonight to look at diabetic cookbooks.


Here's the problem with diabetic cookbooks, they all suck! Someone needs to make a cookbook with simple everyday recipes for diabetics. I must have opened ten cookbooks and found things like Creole Style Fish Soup, Crispy Mahi Mahi with Ratatouille and Pumpkin Pudding and Snapper Cote d'Azur with Salade de Provence and Pears with raspberry Coulis. WTF? Did Julia Childs have diabetes? She's the only one who could make this shit. I want normal human recipes. Why is that so hard? They actually had more than a few recipes that included Chilean Sea bass and Swiss Chard. Seriously, is this Top Chef: The Diabetes Year?
I ordered the cookbook above at the library so I'm hoping it's really plain recipes because I am not making the crap I've seen so far. I have to feed a family of four and that doesn't include ratatouille, whatever the hell that is. I also ordered Diabetes for Dummies hoping it could teach me what the hell I'm doing besides checking my blood sugar.


I haven't really eaten much in the last day or so because I"m at a loss. A piece of cheese toast for breakfast and a salad with chicken for dinner is all I can come up with. Things are going to get very boring around here for a while until I find a normal person with diabetes. What does Brett Michael's eat for dinner? Oh wait, I said normal. I'll keep looking.
One thing is for sure, I will do it the right way because I want to live to see my children graduate from high school.



6 comments:

  1. My father in law was recently diagnosed and he too struggles with what to eat, and I'm afraid he's not making good choices. I feel your pain, a lil' bit. I'm on a 21 day cleanse, and it was difficult to find something to eat in the beginning. A vegan diet with no sugar, gluten, caffeine, or alcohol. I hope the cookbooks help you sort it all out! Thanks for the Pour your heart out! Shell has a great meme going, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has diabetes and I know shes eating things she's not suppose to be eating. I don't know much about diabetes but I know it can be dangerous. So please keep me posted if you find anything good I'd like to pass the word on to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping in from blogflow. I am a diabetic also. I tend to choose my favorite recipes from other sources and convert them to a healthier form. I share the best ones on my cooking blog Kitchen Smack (http://kitchensmack.blogspot.com). Not all the recipes are healthy but I include as many as I can. Betty Crocker's Diabetic Cookbook is a pretty good cookbook. You will start seeing some of the recipes from there being featured on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you can find recipes that you can make that are easy and that you like. Who knows- it might even inspire you to compile your own cookbook someday- it sounds like there is a need for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that has to be hard. I'm having trouble finding recipes that will work for me with my sugar issues too. Ratatouille is a vegetable soup from what I gather. lol But I only know that from watching the kids movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much help here but thought I would at least suggest Dreamfields Pasta if you haven't heard of it. It has a low glycemic impact so it's diabetic friendly unlike most pastas. I think it tastes exactly the same too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete