Friday, July 9, 2010

Occupational Hazard


I love my babies, I really do but being home with a sick kid makes me want to shove my head in the fucking oven! River slept poorly which means that so did I. She was awake and fussing for the better part of the night so I knew she'd wake up not feeling well because she usually sleeps like a rock.
The best thing to do when the kid(s) are sick is to hunker down in one room and watch DVDs or kids TV. We don't generally watch a lot of TV but Owen has a new Thomas and Friends DVD that he's ape shit for so we're watching that, for the third time. I can sing these songs in my sleep and I'd rather that wasn't something I could add to my resume but it's an occupational hazard. As it is I can sing all the Wiggles songs. River isn't old enough to love any DVDs yet but I'm sure I've got lots of that Princess crap in my future, which pains me. This shit is why I don't feel guilty about listening to the Twilight soundtracks in the car. I need Owen to be able to sing Bravery and Metric so that it balances this shit out! A little Death Cab For Cutie never hurt anyone.


With watery eyes, a runny nose and a head of hair full of snot. That's how she got out of her crib this morning. I was shocked at the amount of "liquid" this kid put out before I got her out of her crib! She was wrapped in a cocoon of snot! She was up way earlier than usual which didn't please me and I knew as soon as I got her up that the planned trip to the pool was off. She's been all over me all day, crawling up and down and wanting extra love, which I understand. She's playing "quietly" now with the fold out wooden dollhouse that my mom got her. She'd probably have more fun if I could keep Owen off the tiny bed and out of her way. He's got to be in everything!
The picture above is of her from yesterday, during happier and less snotty times.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I hope she is feeling better. Poor thing. Nothing worse than a sick kid. Visiting from the tea party.
    Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could so identify with this today! While it gets easier as they get older, the worst thing about being a mom, IMO, is the helplessness when your child is sick or hurting. My teen has a horrible case of poison ivy. ALL over. Yes, there too. He was up at 3:30 getting himself more benedryl and taking an oatmeal bath. How can a mom sleep with a drugged up teen in the tub in the wee hours of the morning! I will be calling the pediatrician first thing today.

    And let me tell yo when my kids were younger we sure did make use of the TV when they were sick! And I remember when my boys had chicken pox how happy I was to leave them with the sitter and go to work!

    Hope everyone is better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting back from the tea party and although the situation of a sick kid sucks, your writing about it is hilarious and I love what you're doing over here. Hope you don't mind a follow from me. Come back and visit me any time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Wrapped in a cocoon of snot" - I suspect that's a visual I'm not going to be able to get out of my head today. EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you didn't have to pry her out of it!

    ReplyDelete