Friday, July 30, 2010

Music I Love ~ Day IX

10,000 Maniacs are probably my favorite band from high school. Natalie Merchant can sing anything and have it sound beautiful. In My Tribe is an album that I've listened to so much that I think I've owned 5 copies. I originally bought it when it came out in 1987 through the Columbia Record and Tape Club on vinyl. Those bastards haunted me for years! I also bought it on tape so I could listen to it in my Walkman and wore it out so the need to replace it came quickly. I finally gave into the changing times and I bought it on CD, and still have replaced that a few times because it's gotten destroyed, worn out or stolen by ex-boyfriends.

Every song on In My Tribe is excellent. This is the last song on the CD and has always been my favorite. I remember once Momma was working at her desk and asked if I had any soft music she could listen to. I put this song on and left the room to continue whatever it was that I was doing and when I came back she was tearing up a little and asked, "Do you have anything that doesn't sound like a Requiem?" A bit dramatic maybe but this really is a beautiful song. I couldn't find a decent performance of 10,000 Maniacs doing it so this is just Natalie Merchant, but still good. I think she left in 1993 and it's been down hill for them since. If memory serves I think they had a few name changes and she had that CD Tigerlilly (what I would have named my daughter had it been only up to me) but I lost track of them after that. Shame because they were crazy talented.


Verdi Cries by 10,000 Maniacs is one of my all time favorite songs from one of my top 5 favorite albums. I generally listen to it way too much when a relationship goes sour. Needless to say, I haven't heard it in a while.


1 comment:

  1. These are the Days was my graduation song in high school :)

    ReplyDelete