Sunday, July 25, 2010

Music I Love ~ Day IV

As I creep towards my 40th Birthday I thought I would have a harder time picking female artists who kick ass for my Three Weeks of Music I Love but so far, it's been a no brainer. Women who kick ass are everywhere these days and even when I pick a song that is almost as old as I am, it is still a really good song that I can listen to without it feeling dated. This song was used in the movie Almost Famous so that might help the younger crowd, maybe.

I've always loved Joni Mitchell. I think every woman should if only for how she and women like her opened up doors for others in a time that doing what she was doing and being a woman was kinda new. Not to mention that she has an amazingly beautiful voice. If it weren't for Joan Baez and Jodi Mitchell, there would be no Liz Phair or Amy Winehouse.



This song is part of the reason I liked the name River for my daughter. After my husband nixed it for a boy's name because he didn't want to name his son after a guy that died of a heroin overdose in front of The Viper Room, he suggested it for a girl's name. I immediately thought of this song and it's part of the reason I agreed so quickly. I probably should have mentioned that to my husband. Maybe I did mention it, I can't remember but I don't think he would have heard the song before anyway. It really is a beautiful song. Sarah McLachlan did a cover of it years ago and while it was nice, I like this version better.

Joni Mitchell's River is a beautiful song and one a lot of people don't know until they hear it and say, "Oh yeah, I've heard that song!" I never get tired of listening to this!




3 comments:

  1. I love Joni Mitchell - and Joan Baez :)

    Visiting from SITS - hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to stop in and let you know, I had to pass this award on to some bloggy friends I thought were fantastic, and I thought of you!

    http://fourcallmemama.blogspot.com/2010/07/versitile-blogger-my-first-award.html

    Congrats!

    That is a beautiful song! I'd never heard it before (but then again, I do live under a rock......;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful song - thanks for sharing it.

    And your description of why your husband didn't want to name his son after that is too funny. :) I mean, it's true, but the way you worded it was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete