Sunday, June 20, 2010

When Adults Attack


Let me preface this post by saying that I bought this instrument of fun for my children with no intentions of using it for my own giddy pleasure.
A couple of weeks ago I spent $7 of a wet banana at Walmart. It's pretty cool because you hook the hose to one end a water runs up the side creating a constant fountain all the way down so it's always wet. At the very end it shoots the water up in all directions so when you hit it it sprays you with water. Very cool. These things weren't this detailed when I was a kid. It was just basically a long yellow tarp (hence wet banana) that you had to spray with the hose to keep wet. This one was totally more fun.
I set everything up earlier so the water might be able to warm a little bit, not that either of my children care. They both hop right in the pool like they can't feel the cold. My husband was reading and wasn't totally jazzed about going outside into the heat. It's 94 degrees right now and it's just so hot that it feels sticky so while I couldn't blame him I knew there was a pool involved and I'd be sitting in that pool watching out for River so I wasn't overly concerned about the heat. With last weeks monumental sunburn I also lathered the whole family in suntan lotion.
I've had Owen out back with the wet banana a couple of times and he's played on it but I could never really get him to understand what to do so I asked Chris to show him, never thinking he'd actually do it. Just when I thought Father's Day couldn't get any more fun, I watched my husband speed down the wet banana like he was being pulled by a speed boat! When I took that first picture I laughed out loud! Doesn't that look like fun? Of course I had to try it and I'll be honest it took me a while to not run like a girl and figure out how to push off so I'd shoot down and into the little pool of water but once I did it I felt like I was in the 4th grade. Good times. Maturity is overrated.
On a side note: Happy Birthday EC!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that looks likes so much fun! I haven't been on one of those in ages. Good times indeed.

    Thanks for stopping over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! When I was a kid, we just pulled a tarp out, and used some soap (with the water) so it would be super slippery. :)

    ReplyDelete