Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Where Have You Gone, Joe Dimaggio?



Right after Owen turned three he started school, 5 days a week. I wasn't sure he was ready because he'd been three all of one week and 5 days is a lot. He also rides the bus which is a whole other set of worries, but he loves, loves, loves it!


With his speech delay, I wondered if he'd get anything out of it. I should have had more faith. He has learned so much. I could tell a difference within the first week when he would count the strawberries on his plate and started telling me what colour everything was. He comes home singing the songs he learns at school. The Days of the Week song, set to the tune of the Addams Family is my personal favorite. He jumps off the bus with a smile on his face and a song in his soul. What more can you ask for?


I fought hard for the black and white print of Joe Dimaggio behind Owen's bed. I knew I wanted a sports theme for Owen's big boy room. I wanted a huge, B&W and iconic photograph to go behind his bed. Originally I asked for the photo of Babe Ruth above but Chris nixed it, which I still don't understand. In a day of Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi and Mark McGwire I thought it would be nice to show Owen a guy who made history on nothing but smokes, hot dogs and bourbon. Maybe teach him that baseball is more than $9 hot dogs, people who retire and refuse to go away (Roger Clemens, I'm looking at you) and whoever Derek Jeter is dating.
I would have taken any of the greats, Hank Arron, Dimaggio, Babe, Mantle, Gehrig, Posada, OK, I was joking about the last one, but you see where I'm going with this. I didn't intentionally set out to put a Yankee on my son's wall but I wanted Iconic and when I think Iconic, this is what comes to mind. I don't think my husband hates the Yankees, his family is from New York but I know he only relented on Dimmagio because he was one of his Grandfather's favorites. He would rather have a picture of Cal Ripkin but he does nothing for me. I can appreciate him but I'm not from here so I didn't grow up loving Cal. I went to school in New York and that's where I saw my first major league baseball game, in the house that Ruth built. They don't call it that for nothing!
In a moment of weakness, I did buy a 8x10 of Cal at his last game and framed it for Owen's room. That was my compromise.
Owen stands in front of that photograph and goes down the line of letters, he says, "This is the letter D, this is the letter I, this is the letter M, this is the letter A, and on and on. He doesn't get them all right but he's doing a great job! I love that Joe Dimaggio is helping Owen learn his alphabet. Seems like a win, win!

"A nation turns it's lonely eyes to you":

No comments:

Post a Comment