Monday, May 24, 2010

This Time La Luna!


I am not one to live by many rules. I mean I do the basics. I don't kill people when I'd like to, I don't commit adultery no matter how hot said Brit might be, and I don't covet my neighbors wife. This one is kinda easy cause I don't dig mullets. I DO have a little trouble with the "You shall not make for yourself an idol" one, but I'm working on it.

I have loved Duran Duran for as long as I can remember. I've both stalked, met and or touched all of them and I don't regret a minute of it. Those days are kinda gone now because following a band for a leg of a tour is just not doable with two kids under 3 1/2, even I can admit that. I miss those days though. Even with all the infighting between the 'Duranies," I have good memories. I mean I don't believe that shit about Andy Taylor's "light sensitivity" for a second. Take off your damn sunglasses. It's 10 PM! I can say that because I've loved them since I was 11ish. I've earned it.

I met good friends that way and even met one of my bridesmaids on the now debunked Duran Duran message boards. While I'm still bitter about them shutting it down, I'm glad I got something lasting out of it. Also, this chick is the only person I know who looks good with every hair colour.

For some reason when I have a crappy day or if I'm just highly annoyed, Duran Duran almost always comes on the radio. I don't think it's some sort of divine intervention but I do find it a little odd that for a band who never got proper respect while being innovators with video technology and just a really kick ass band, they seem to always be there when I need them. New Moon on Monday is a song that maybe most people wouldn't know. The extended mix is one of my favorite videos so I know it well, but I don't think people remember it like Rio or Hungry Like the Wolf, but it's a damn good song.

I was annoyed and running late today and as I pulled into the parking lot of a store I was going to, I was ready to jump out and grab River so we could get the dog food and diapers we needed, when the song came on the radio. I think this song came out in early 1984 so it's one of their older songs. Unfortunately you don't hear Duran on the radio much these days so when they come on while I'm in the car, my rule is that I don't turn it off. I don't get out of the car and I just sit and listen. It's kind of a respect thing for the years of pleasure they've given me. Also, it would be crazy for me to not represent when I've bitched for years about them not getting the respect they have earned and deserve. It was nice because it almost let me reboot and as I strolled into the store with River, I was more relaxed and even singing to myself. Only Duran Duran have the power to do that.

Ahhhh, Simon LeBon is a poet......

No comments:

Post a Comment