Friday, May 28, 2010

Parent/Teacher Conference


I went to meet with Owen's teacher today to see how he's doing. His last day of school is about two weeks away and he was due for an evaluation. We waited patiently outside in the hall while she finished up with another parent. Well, I waited patiently, Owen danced and giggled while he eyeballed them through the window. His teacher, who I love said he's been doing really, really well and while he'll probably be in school there three days a week next year, she's pretty sure she'll be moving him to the afternoon class. Those are the kids that are better at working on their own, which he does well.

It's always nice to hear how great your kid is doing and seeing how comfortable he is in that room is always a treat. As soon as I sat down with her, he went to the board and found the sign with his name on and hung it on the board. Apparently that's the first thing they do in the morning. He played with the markers, coloured where he should and not where he shouldn't and answered questions when he was asked. I was pretty impressed especially since he was wearing a white tank top and I was almost certain he'd destroy it, but we left without so much as a mark on him. His teacher enjoyed it when I told her how he does the alphabet with Joe Dimaggio and all the other things he does at home. He's learned so much from her in such a short period of time. How could I not be eternally grateful?

Judging by the fact that I got a little teary eyed when River and I left Owen's school after Field Day, I'm sure his last day will be pretty emotional for me as well as all the days that follow when he asks about they kids who were in his class that he talks about everyday. I asked the teacher if I could bring cupcakes and juice and maybe a take home treat for the kids. I'd like to mark the end of his first schooling experience even if it hasn't been a whole year. I thought I could make that yummy icing that Karen made for Jane's Birthday party. I know it would please my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment