Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day. I get to hang out with my family and I don't have to cook. On Mother's Day, nothing is expected of me and that feels nice. I get to roll out of bed at 10 AM and it's OK. My husband makes me grits and maple sausage for breakfast and that's cool. I never eat these things so having them on Mother's Day is a treat.

Hanging out with the kids and no place to be. That's the makings of a good day. I could have done without the wind, but it really wasn't too bad.


Top 10 reasons why I'm a lucky Momma:

1. My children are excessively happy. We have a great time but it's just in their general nature to be sweet. That comes from my husband, not me. If my daughter woke up, kicked her door open and screamed, "Why is the sun so damn bright?" That would be all me.

2. My husband is a very kind man. His honesty annoys me sometimes, the way my mother's use to. He's the kind of guy that would correct the check out lady for undercharging us. WTF? Who does that? I married well and have no problem admitting that.

3. My family is healthy. My children eat like it's their last day on this planet. Owen is a little picker these days. He won't always eat what I give him but if I don't watch, he could eat a whole box of Nilla Waffers in one sitting. River eats even more. You know when she's done because if she hasn't managed to inhale it, she starts throwing it so watch out! She goes long!

4. Owen loves school. When he sees the school bus coming, he starts screaming and jumping. He runs to the bus and when I visit him in school, he's worried I'll take him home. He doesn't want to miss anything. I remember crying the first day we dropped him off. I never dreamt he'd have this much fun.

5. My family allows me to write. When my kids go to bed, I get on my laptop. When my kids take a nap, I do a few things around the house and then I get on my laptop for at least an hour. Even if Owen doesn't nap, sometimes he'll sit in bed with me and watch Sponge Bob while I write. I'm lucky they allow me this time.

6. I have a great group of friends. I remember the first playdate with the moms group I was dead set on NOT joining. I cried on my way there and kept telling myself, "I'm doing this for Owen." We moved to a new city the week Owen was born and we knew no kids his age so I set out to find some. I AM NOT a joiner and never have been. I'm the kind of person who could go weeks without speaking to another human and that would be normal for me, not healthy but normal and I didn't want that for him. Stepping out of my circle of comfort isn't something I do often or willingly but I'm glad I made an exception.

7. I will be 4o in 3 months and I've never felt younger. I love the person I've become. I know I have issues and I curse like a sailor (which I've been trying to curtail) but I totally rock. I honestly think my shit (oops) doesn't stink! I have more self esteem than any woman I've ever met which I think is odd for a fat chick. I watched Oprah today and it was about how women are broken and that's why they are fat. WHATEVER! I'm just chunky. It doesn't come from any dark place. I'm not only good enough, I'm generally better. I hold my head high when I walk in ANY room and pray I pass that on to my kids.

8. My husband and I are kinda perfect for each other in a "wow we are different' kind of way. Chris is nauseatingly smart. The kind of smart where if you are forced to watch Jeopardy with him, you'd like to just smack the shit out of him for knowing everything. He is definitely the brains of this operation, but I'm the common sense. I'm the "don't f**k with my family part of the deal. My husband has made a life out of trying to reel me in. Not that that's even possible but it is entertaining watching him try to save me from myself. Makes me giggle.

9. In a giant leap towards husband of the year, Chris is basically giving me a Twilight Birthday. What I asked for for my 40th is so over the top that I never thought he'd go for it but he seems to be totally on board. Part of me knows it's so he can have whatever he wants for his 40th Birthday but whatever. If I pull the planning of this trip off, he can have it. I also know that he's allowing this insanity because he loves me and wants me to be happy, which I acknowledge and appreciate. I just started the planning last night and seriously, I'm so excited that I could wet myself. I think parts of Forks, La Push and the Hoh Rainforest will be breathtaking. I will take so many pictures. It will be sick.

10. I am a lucky Momma because I get to stay home with my babies. So many moms don't or can't for whatever reason but I have tried to never take it for granted. I get to be there when my babies go to bed and I get to be there when they wake up in the morning. I get to see how excited they are when I open their doors in the morning and sing to them. I try to do special things with River while Owen is in school and I've surrounded them with people who adore them. I have great friends and my kids do too. When Owen and I went to his friend Alexa's dance recital, I sat there and thought how lucky we are to have friends like this. How lucky we are to be invited into someone's life like this. What a privilege it is to be able to watch Alexa grow. I hope they feel the same way about Owen because it really is an honor.

I'm a lucky Momma! My kids rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment