Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Lovely Bones


Last night Chris and I watched a movie that I've wanted to see for a while. I knew it would be sad but it looked like an interesting story. I usually have a hard time watching a movie about murdered children so I don't even try, but I watched this one and I knew as I was watching it that it would stick with me. I also have a tough time with Marky Mark movies. Try as I might, I can't see him and not sing "Good Vibrations" to myself, "come on, come on, come on!"
If you haven't see it and want to, read no more cause I'm going to get all up in it.
It's the story of a 14 year old girl from Pennsylvania who is murdered by a neighbor. She watches over her family (while not yet in heaven) and the guy that murdered her, with hatred and vengeance in her heart, because who wouldn't have that? Throughout most of the movie, her mutilated body sits, stuffed in a burlap sack, in a large old safe in his basement. Her father searches for her while the family falls apart. I guess they were trying to stress that he was obsessed with finding his daughter's killer and that's why the mother left, but my reaction would have been the same, so that part was lost on me. How you move on after that is beyond me.
Saoirse Ronan, who plays Susie is beautiful in a she "doesn't look like everybody else" sort of way. her eyes are haunting which made me look a way from the screen a few times. It's also not all that common to have the murdered girl narrate so hearing this beautiful girl talk about the day she was murdered and wanting to see him caught was heart breaking.

She hasn't quiet made it to heaven because she isn't yet ready to let go. I'm sure being shoved into a rusty old safe will do that. She must weigh her desire for vengeance against her desire for her family to heal, which I get but once she lets go so that her family can move on, I thought that's when they'd find her body. While I know it's reality that not all missing, raped and murdered girls are ever found, I thought they'd stop before the murderer pushed her body into the Sarlacc Pit. How does a family go on when they never find the body of their daughter? Granted, they think this guy did it and they have the drawings, and hair clipping from the murderer's house, but how do they know for sure? While I appreciate that he dies at the end, do they ever know that? It may have brought me a small measured amount of solice, but did it do that for them? It doesn't give me any comfort to think of a murdered child spending her time in heaven or in between with the other victims of the same murderer. The tiny fingers of the six year old while she laid dirty in a shed make my stomach turn.
On a side note, the whole Sarlacc Pit thing, who fills a sink hole with garbage? Granted it was 1973, but was that OK then? Also, "let me drop this heavy, heavy safe into your sink hole." WTF? Wouldn't someone question that? I think I might read the book. I bet it's much better and probably more detailed, maybe than I'd like. It was a good movie though, just not one I'd probably watch again for the disturbing factor.




1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite book. I read it years ago before having kids. I would love to see the movie, I didn't even know it was a movie:))

    ReplyDelete