Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What Would Jesus Buy?


I like to walk around and listen. I've always thought that you learn a lot more if you shut your mouth occasionally and just pay attention. Committing the stupid shit people do and say into my memory for later use has always been one of my favorite past times. Over the last few days I've noticed some goodies that I've been stockpiling and after the sign I saw today at Borders (See? I spelled it correctly)I thought it was time to share.

Over the weekend, we took the kids to the park because the weather was beautiful. Even on the water, with the breeze, the kids could still wear shorts and River even had on a tank. So cute, I can't even tell you.

Anyhoo, we're at the park minding our own business while the boy plays (well, mind you) in the sandbox with the sweetest little ginger (I mean it lovingly, relax) kid and he's having a good ole time. I let him play because I'm not the kind of mother who hangs over her kid asking over and over, "Are you having a good time? Are you playing nice?" As he's playing, there are two women behind me who I would guess were a little younger then me and they're talking about all the work they've had done. This is the one part that grabbed me, "I told her to get her skin stripped and resurfaced. What would it hurt? It would make her feel better." WTF? I can think of why that would hurt. I would also never give my friend the advice that ripping her skin off would make her feel better.

What is wrong with women today? Do we really think that resurfacing our skin will make us look younger? If you're 50 and you've been resurfacing, peeling and injecting your skin since you were in your 30s, you don't look younger. You look like a 50 year old whose resurfaced, peeled and injected your skin all up. You aren't fooling anyone. Stop fighting it every step of the way and embrace it. Just loosing the worry will keep you younger.

While my son was at school today, I took River to the mall to get her the grooviest dress for an upcoming baptism. My husband is the Godfather and is very excited about it. One of his fraternity brothers and his wife have the cutest little baby boy named Logan and we're really looking forward to the baptism. I'm not sure what Owen will wear because suits on little kids totally creeps me out. Whenever I see them it always reminds me of the scene in The Omen where they pull up to the church and Damian freaks out and claws his parents. Totally skeeves me. So, I'm thinking a Polo and nice pair of pants. As God is my witness, my son will not wear a suit until he's a teenager and has no other choice. The only function I see where it could be absolutely necessary would be a wedding that he was in and I don't see one of those on the horizon. Phhhwww!

So, we're walking through Borders (did it again) and on the way to the elevator, I see the sign I posted above and I laughed out loud. It's moments like these that requires that I never leave the house without my camera. I always thought the WWJD thing was funny but maybe a good thing for kids if you want to remind them to think before they do something stupid, but it's gone way too far when you're using it to sell things. However, that's what it's been used for all along so I don't know why I found it so funny. Those brackets aren't free. Someone is getting the money for them. Just the thought that Jesus wants to you buy a bible cover, I don't know. It made me think if anyone ever passed it and thought, "Yeah, Jesus wants me to have a bible cover. Gotta get me one of those."

1 comment: