Monday, March 1, 2010

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.


Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality.

Beatrix Potter



Today was Owen’s first day of school. He’s been three for a little over a week so this is kind of surreal to me. Most three year olds don’t go to school yet but this program is going to be really good for him. Taking advantage of it was a no-brainer. He may need some time to adjust to it (I know I do) but once he does, I know he’ll love it.

Chris was working at home today so he was able to go with us to drop him off. He’ll usually take the bus but we wanted to take him the first day. We were able to take a few pictures while we waited for the teacher to come outside and get him. As we waited, I was not feeling upset at all, but I felt anxious. The kind of anxious I felt on the morning of my wedding. I was starting to worry that I wouldn’t feel like a normal parent if I didn’t cry, which is stupid. Once the teacher came out and said, “Is this Owen?” I started to feel normal and knew tears were a comin. I felt bad leaving him there when I know he didn’t understand what was happening. When she took him hand and started to lead him back to the class, he lost it a bit and yelled “Momma, Momma, Momma!” I could have done without that and seeing her have to carry him while he cried. I was glad when we picked him up and she said he stopped crying when he got to the room and saw the other kids and toys.

They have PE on Mondays and she said he loved that, which isn’t surprising. He’s very athletic and I’ve seen him put his arm through a door so he can do anything he wants. I bought him a good pair of shoes to start school in, just for this purpose. He loves nothing more than running and screaming like a fool. I also asked the teacher if he did everything she asked and she said he did. I was worried about that cause he likes to follow his own path, if you know what I mean.

I had to laugh when she told me that he loved snack time most of all. Milk and Goldfish? No shit! Welcome to my world.

I am so glad he's in school and a whole new world has opened up for him but there will always be a part of me that worries that his originality will be stifled. I hope he's allowed to be as interesting and creative as he's always been. He's the grooviest kid ever and I just don't want that to end.

Anyway, Sounds like a pretty good first day. Now day two, school bus. He loves talking about them but will be get on one without me? We’ll see.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear it went well! I was just checking your blog to see if you wrote yet, keep us posted, I'm sure he'll do great! Yeah Owen!

    ReplyDelete