Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coloured Eggs, Green Icing and a Big Fake Gun


Our friend Sydney had her 3rd Birthday party today and we were all invited. Not many husband's usually come to these things but Chris always does. He likes to see Owen running around and playing with his friends. He doesn't obviously spend as much time with three year olds as I do so it's always fun to see his reaction to a toddle beat down, which happens every 3-5 minutes or so. I thought for sure Ayden and Owen would come to blows over the big fake wooden gun, but they got past it. Hearing his story of how he sat and watched Cooper and Ayden break medieval on each other over a toy was priceless.

Michelle made funfetti cupcakes that looked like little Easter baskets. Very cool! She used licorice for the handle and since I can't stand licorice I never thought to buy some for Owen to try so it was nice to see him dig right in. Between the cupcake(s), jelly beans, ice cream sandwiches and chocolate covered pretzels, Owen ate like he had low blood sugar. I even saw him snag a Capri Sun. Like most parents, we don't keep these kinds of things in our house so when he goes to a party, he acts like he just got out of prison and eats everything he can get his hot little hands on.

We've had trouble with Owen in the past, at his friend's Birthday parties, totally freaking out when the Birthday cake comes out. You can always tell when it's time to sing and then eat cake cause Owen shimmies his ass into the chair closest to the cake or cupcakes. It would be cute if that weren't the seat that the Birthday girl is supposed to sit in, but it always seems to be where he plants his cheeks. While he did this today, he just chanted, "cake, cake, cake" as opposed to screaming "CAKE! CAKE! CAKE!" at the top of his lungs. It was nice to not have to whisk my kids out of a party for a change while Owen drags icing by his hair.

Speaking of icing, he had so much green icing on his face that after his bath, he looked like somebody punched him in the eye. That stuff stains your skin. I'm not really sure how he got it on his eye but whatever.

River seemed to have a great time too. She had her first Marshmallow Peep, which was stale. The only way to fly. Good call on that one by me. I'm not much of a Peep eater but I do remember that them being stale was an important factor to the Peep yumminess. The best thing about the party was that someone else was throwing it. It's so much more relaxing when someone else is doing everything. Don't get me wrong, she put a lot of work into it and we enjoyed it but it's nice to sit around and talk to your friends while your kids play.

I hope Syndey liked our gift. Every girl wants a tu tu, right? I found a groovy one with a matching leotard. It's red, which is my favorite colour and I think she'll look cute in it. Everyone has a colour. Momma is peach, Chris is blue and I guess I'm black. Hell, I don't know, but I think Sydney is a red. I can't explain that, but that's the colour I see when I think of her. Maybe it's the sassiness, I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment