Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Channeling My Soul



Before I got sick in December, I got my old laptop out. It isn't really old but I haven't used this laptop since I quit my job, before Owen was born. He'll be three next month so it was long overdue. When I opened it, and saw my favorite black and white photograph of Simon Lebon laying seductively against the back of cloth covered high back chair , I knew I'd found an old friend.


Simon Lebon was my first crush. I've loved him since I was 10 years old. He has done some dumb shit over the years, but he can do no wrong in my eyes. When I was very young, my girlfriends and I would get together and throw a Birthday party on his birthday. We made cakes and some of his favorite foods. It usually involved a slumber party and staying up all night to watch Duran Duran videos. Then we'd go to sleep in our Duran Duran t-shirts with our heads resting on our coveted Duran Duran pillowcases. Ahhhh, a simpler time.
Thirty or so concerts later, I still love Duran Duran and they will forever be my favorite band and guilty pleasure. I think my days of following them are done as the visual is a lot less attractive with a one year old strapped in a Bjorn, hanging from my chest, but the memories are good.

There was also something else I found on this laptop after a far too long separation. I found a story I began to write, probably before I even met my husband. I had a dream and I’d come into work and written it out on my laptop during the quiet hours of the falling housing market. Trust me, I had the time. I wrote maybe five or so pages about the dream as well and I’m glad I did. I was able to pick it back up again after all these years. Now I’m over a hundred pages in and I’m pissed I hadn’t done this sooner. I should have never stopped writing. I’m not sure what it will turn into but I’m excited to find out.

I write as much as I can which right now means at night when the kids go to bed. I’m surprised I’m having so much fun doing it as I never really thought that I could. While I’m not writing about myself, I kind of fall into that world when I write, which makes it easier and more natural. I do include small things from my own life here and there to make it my own, but the girl I’m writing about is different in so many ways. Things seem to come easier to her because she’s more open to it. She loves art though, I could never leave that out.

We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment