Thursday, January 14, 2010

River's Birthday Cake!


When Owen turned one, I made him a HUGE Wizard of Oz cake and it turned out really cool. I was able to use some figurines that I'd had for years since I'd collected Wizard of Oz things as long as I can remember and I made a yellow brick road out of icing and food colouring. There was an Emerald City and everything, very cool. It went great with the tornado I made on our kitchen ceiling fan. I'm still proud of that one!

With River's first Birthday rapidly approaching, I have decided to do the same for her. I have been scouring local stores, online stores and Ebay to gather the things I need to make her a very special cake. Today I finally found the last things I needed to complete my vision. Now, I've never made this kind of cake before so my vision and what I end up with may be two different things, but I'm gonna try my damnedest to make sure this cake kicks some serious ass!

I went to hardware stores trying to find these things but ended up finding them at Michael's. I knew I should have just looked there in the first place. A lady I met at Owen's school this morning told me about a baking store that she knew about. I went to Kake Kraft Korner in Ferndale to see if they had what I was looking for. When I told the guy what I needed, he looked at me like I had two heads. What I said was, "OK, I'll try some place else." What I was thinking was, "You name your store KKK, and you want to give me attitude?" Seriously, did they not notice the initials? I mean, before my kid were born, I checked their initials online to make sure they didn't share their names with a serial killer. Also, I checked to make sure their initials didn't spell anything bad. It's not rocket science people!

I'll post a picture of the cake after the party.

1 comment:

  1. There's a great store in Essex (a tad far) called Cake Cottage. Not sure of the specific address but let me know if you're interested. It's awesome:-).

    Love your blog Michelle, it always makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete