Friday, December 11, 2009

There's a World Outside Your Window...

Every year I do the same thing. I wait to "feel" the Christmas season begin until I hear one song. I usually hear it in late November or very early December, but I finally heard it tonight for the first time while my husband was in 7/11 buying a grape soda.

I have the song on cassette, CD,DVD, iTunes and even vinyl but I refuse to play it until I hear it on the radio. I don't know why I do that but I do. This song reminds me of a time when even though we didn't have a lot of money, we were OK. I was happy when I had my jazz shoes and Duran Duran buttons. I was happy with my bangs coloured blond because that's how John Taylor did it! I was happy buying every magazine that I could get my hands on, only because Simon LeBon was on the cover. Sigh......so dreamy.
"Do They Know It's Christmas" has become my favorite Christmas song. It surpassed "I'll Be Home For Christmas," which I also love. I get the warmest feeling the first time I hear it every year. The first time I hear it is almost magical. I don't care where I am when it comes on, I stop what I'm doing and I sing. I sing out loud with glee and I'm not embarrassed or feel like I need to apologize. I think it reminds me of the fist time I realized that no matter what I had or didn't have, I should be proud of it and feel lucky because the things I take for granted are things that some people can't even imagine. As I sit here listening to the song now, it sounds as fresh as it did in 1984. Has it seriously been 25 years? I also find it interesting that it was then and remained until 1997, the largest selling single in UK chart history. Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" surpassed it when Princess Diana died.
I posted a picture of myself above from the 7th grade. My clothes are just horrific (I'm wearing my Power Station concert t-shirt) and I''ve got tons of Dippity Do in my hair. Also, I'm pretty sure that's a mullet, but good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment