Sunday, December 6, 2009

River's 1st Christmas Tree!



We went out today and bought our Christmas tree! I love buying our tree and always have. I love the chill in the air. I love the smell of burning wood from the fires the guys who work there are burning to stay warm and I love the smell of pine needles. But this wasn't just any tree. This was a special tree. It's River's very first Christmas Tree!


We loaded up to do some shopping and then head over to the volunteer Fire Department to see what they had this year. I tend to go where I think trees might be cheaper and Chris wants to always go to this Firehouse, very close to our home. He's loyal to the same places if the service and product for sale warrant it. I am more loyal to my wallet. Yin and yang.

Anyhoo, we get to the field of trees and look around. It was in the 30's so we couldn't really play around too much with both kids in tow. I put River in the Bjorn and zipped my jacket over her but I know she was still cold. Her little cheeks were as red as a stop sign! Owen liked running around the trees and helping us find the perfect one.

Once we picked out our tree, River and I stayed with it until Chris and Owen found a guy to come get it and cut it for us. He cut the bottom with a chainsaw that I think Owen was a bit afraid of because he wondered away in the middle of it and hung out by the tractor. I mean, maybe he just wanted to hang out by the tractor, but he seemed a little skittish. Also, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention the big ass scary, Stay Puff Marshmallow Man size snowman that eyeballed us the whole time we were there. I swear it's eyes followed us the whole time like he thought we were stealing stuff. You can see his creepy ass across the field of trees. He actually looks smaller in this picture than he really was. Creepy, just creepy.

Once the guy tied our tree to the roof of our car, we were off! We took it home and brought it inside to decorate. Uh-oh, this means we have to get into the attic to get all the decorations! We so should have done this weeks ago but as usual, we leave everything to the last minute. While the kids were down for a nap, we get the Christmas crates out of the freezing cold attic. We decorate the tree and were pleasantly surprised that this is the first year that Owen seemed interested in helping. Well, when I say "help", I mean until he found the train engine ornaments and then he just wanted to play with them. I haven't seen them since. He had fun and that's all the matters. This is also a "non tinsel year." My husband hates tensel and I love it so every other year we have it on the tree. I'm bummed. The tree always looks unfinished without tinsel.

Now our home smells like pine needles and burning candles. That's what Christmas smells like. I love it!














No comments:

Post a Comment