I am often asked for this recipe. It is something I've made for years and people seem to really enjoy. I figured I'd post it here so those who might want it can have it. It's really good bread and worth the effort. I can not stress enough not to skip the first step. It's very important and the bread will not be as moist without it.
Before I had kids and had time to play with, I'd make 40-50+ loaves a year and give them to friends and family. Everyone seemed to love it so I kept doing it. Last year I was 9+ months pregnant and that was out of the question. I laid on my couch while others made dinner in my kitchen, which I hate so I was obviously in no condition to make 50 loaves of bread, but it didn't stop people from asking.
Makes 2 Loaves
4 Cups diced peeled Apples
2 Cups plus 2 tsp Sugar
2 Sticks (1 C) Butter
3 Cups all-purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp ground Cinnamon
2 large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Mix apples and 2 cups sugar in a large bowl. Leave at room temp for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!
2. Heat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour two loaf pans.
3. Melt butter, let cool.
4. Mix flour, baking soda and cinnamon: stir into apples. Stir in butter, eggs, and vanilla. Pour half into each pan: sprinkle each with 1 tsp of sugar and a little cinnamon.
5. Bake 1 ¼-1 ½ hours until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool (in pans) on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.