Thursday, November 12, 2009

A New Baby

My beautiful friend Karen is really, really pregnant! Her due date is November 21st so she's literally almost done. She works full time as a social worker (living saint) and was told today that she has to go on bed rest. Her first question? "Can I work part time?" I had to laugh out loud when she told me this because it's so Karen.

Anyway, she listened to the Dr and today was her last day at work until the baby comes. As tough as my pregnancies were and as much crap as my Obs gave me about taking it easy and relaxing, I was never technically on bed rest. The thought of sitting in one place for possibly two weeks is unthinkable to me as I'm sure it is to Karen. You gotta do what you've gotta do and thankfully she has a great husband and they both have parents who would do anything for them so that must take a load off. I wish we lived closer so I could do more, but it's tough with two little ones of my own.

As I sit here and think about Karen I look to my right and can see my babies sleeping so peacefully on the video monitor. I am happy that she will soon have the joy of a baby of her own. The way it will change her home is both immediate and beautiful. I remember when I was very pregnant and longing to give birth to my first baby and I realize I had absolutely no idea what was coming. I wondered about it daily but when my son came it was so much more over the top amazing than I'd ever imagined. While babies are a lot of work, they're the most fulfilling job you'll ever have. It's the equivalent to waking up with sunshine even when it's raining outside and reminds me of a quote I love so much that I have it hanging in my home.

"A baby fills a place in your heart that you never knew was empty"

Go Karen!

No comments:

Post a Comment