Saturday, October 3, 2009

Homestead Farm Fall Festival


Since my husband is a victim of Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel and drove with his best friends to Pittsburgh to get a sandwich they saw on the show, the kids and I are sans Daddy this weekend. So, after Owen's music class, I decided to take the kids to the Homestead gardens Fall Festival at the suggestion of some friends. I was afraid at first because it seemed kind of ambitious of me to take them both. Owen is a runner and isn't very good at listening, unless I'm screaming and sometimes not even then. I took them anyhow and we had a pretty good time.

The weather was nice and the sun was out. I was able to use the stroller, which I was kind of worried about. Sometimes fall festivals are on farms and strollers don't work. I need to know that the stroller is at least an option when Owen looses it and throws himself to the ground. He is just too way big to carry when he is purposely being a dead weight.

They had many things for young kids to do. There were hay bales to climb on, slides to slide down, mazes to get lost in and a million places to take great pictures, which is a HUGE plus in my book. Owen has always loved hayrides and I was glad to see that he still does. River seemed to like it as well and enjoyed having the wind blow through her hair on the ride. They also had a kiddie train that was pulled by a large John Deere. As soon as Owen saw this he ran right towards it, past the unsecured gate and in front of the tractor. Luckily I was running right behind him and the screams and gasps of the crowd made the driver stop.
We also ran into one of Owen's friends, Cooper. Owen has many friends and I love them all but this kid has always been my favourite. They just seem to have a real camaraderie and respect for each other that I find endearing. I'm not saying the haven't argued or hit each other because they have, but they just seem like special friends and I think that's sweet. Owen is always really glad when we run into them and I think that's very telling. Cooper has a new little sister who is about River's age and I can only hope they'll have a relationship that is as sweet.
Overall, good day with the kids. What's better than that?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed a great fall day with your little ones. We also have a place near us that hosts the same type of festival every fall. I can't wait to take the my kids this year!

    ReplyDelete