Thursday, September 3, 2009

Twinkle Toes


I signed my son up for ballet. You'd have thought I signed him up for a weekend in a bathhouse. What gives? Why can't a boy take ballet without getting a lot of shit for it? Owen loves music and loves to dance. Some of his friends are taking the same class so it should be a lot of fun for them. Granted, the friends he's taking the class with are girls, but boys take ballet too.

I had to buy him black slippers, black footless tights and a white t-shirt. They also ask us to pull his hair back from his face, which he hates, but he'll be so cute! I can't wait to take pictures of him dressed for class and am very excited for his first day! I really think he'll have such a great time dancing and playing around with his friends.
Why is it that it's cute when a girl does boy things but people totally lose all perspective when a boy does an activity that is traditionally known as a "girl thing." I don't get the double standard. Especially when woman are the main ones keeping that crap alive. The looks I get when I mention Owen is in ballet are hilarious! Women look me up and down like they're smelling onions. Say something....I dare you.
Dance on my boy, dance on!

2 comments:

  1. The thing that gets me is: there's gotta be at least some dudes doing ballet, right? And they gotta start somewhere. Someone has to be the next Barishnikov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I said Dave, that's what I said.

    ReplyDelete