Friday, September 25, 2009

The Family Schedule


I've been told by those in the know that I need to put Owen on a schedule. I mean, he's always been on some kind of schedule but we alter it daily as I am just not good at sticking to routines. They think it will help Owen thrive to know what is coming next at all times of the day. I can't say I disagree with them. I am trying to figure out a way to get him involved in his own day.

So, I started this morning getting a routine down for him and kind of keeping track of what we do all day when we don't have to be anywhere. I wrote down everything we did so that I could sit down, write out his routine and make a chart to hang on the fridge. Since he isn't reading yet, I think I'll get some pictures that he recognizes and Velcro them to the chart so we can track it through the day. Maybe this will also help him not completely lose his shit when I try to brush his teeth.

I looked online for charts and things and could find nothing. Everything I saw was for older kids. Owen isn't ready to put his clothes on and things like that. I'm looking for things like eat breakfast, nap time and time for a bath. I don't want to recreate the wheel, but I can't even find the wheel.

I want Owen on a more strict daily routine so that he can get the most out of his day and so that his sister doesn't slip between the cracks while I'm busy with Owen. I go out of my way to get one on one time with each of my children and hate it when one misses out on something because I'm dealing with the other. I know this is inevitable but I just feel like lately River has been getting the brunt of this. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment