Friday, August 7, 2009

Songs for my Babies


There are many songs that I love, but I only reserve a few to sing to my children. I mean, I always sing Rio when we're at the beach, make up songs daily with the kids names in them and Owen and I dancing around the kitchen listening to 80s rap is a frequent occurrence. He seems to love it as much as I do, and that's just fine by me.


But I have special, sweet songs that I sing to my babies when I want them to relax and go to sleep. These are songs that I have loved as long as I can remember, which is funny because they aren't all that old. One, was released in 1988 and another is a favorite of my mothers.


Sometimes when I listen to a couple of these songs, I tear up. I find them so beautiful and so moving that it is amazing. Why would I not want to share them with my children during a beautiful, peaceful moment? Who cares if most of them are from before they were born?


These are the ones I sing daily:


Sweet Baby James ~ James Taylor


Lullabye (Goodnight my Angel) ~ Billy Joel




These are a few other we love:


Forever Young ~ Rod Stewart


Sister Golden Hair Surprise ~ America


The Moldy Peaches ~ Anyone Else But You


I have a secret love of James Taylor and love everything he does, but this song that he wrote when his nephew and namesake was born is my personal favorite. I can't hear it too much. I love singing them to the kids and they seem to always listen. If you ever feel like you aren't inspired enough to write a poem for your children, listen to the first two songs a few times and I'm sure you'll feel differently. They're moving when listened to with your own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment