Monday, August 31, 2009

Lying 101


Is it ever OK to lie? I don't mean a lie like "I'll be there in 5 minutes" and you get there in 10. I mean a lie. The kind of lie that is bad enough where it would really hurt some one's feelings if they knew the truth.

Why is it easier to say, " I can't, I have to do something," than it is to just tell the truth? "I don't feel like it today." Was that so hard? People lie way too much. The biggest reason people seem to lie is to make themselves look better, which is just so sad, isnt't it? Do you think I really care if you can afford the things you buy, or buy it all on credit? As long as I'm not responsible for your bills, spend away. It doesn't affect me, but don't lie about it.

When I was younger and still in school, I would often lie to get out of it. I hated school. I didn't peak there and I couldn't wait to get out. I lied to get out of doing almost any kind of group activity. I just wasn't a joiner. I would lie to my mother and tell her I was sick, so I didn't have to go to school to do something I wasn't interested in doing. The problem was, whenever I did this, I always ended up getting sick. Maybe I was just such a good liar that my body believed it. So I knew if I lied to get out of school on Friday, I'd be sick and wouldn't be able to go out that night. So, I tried to keep my lying on a Mon-Thursday schedule. It was because of this that when I first had Owen, I told myself that I would never use him being sick as an excuse to get out of something and I haevn't. Not one time. I think using my kids to lie in general just sounds so wrong so I don't do it.

Parents are weird, especially the new ones. Some of them lie about how many teeth their kids have, how soon they sit up or walk and they lie about the things they learn. It's all just so sad. I don't understand the need to do this. Kids grow and learn at different rates. Who, besides you, cares if your kid does it first? How do you teach your kids not to lie if you spend all day doing it in their name? In my grown up daily life, I don't lie. I don't have to. I'm secure with my family, where I live, what I have. I'm not trying to keep up with anybody, I covet nothing someone else has. I get no better or no worse than I am right now. You either like me or you don't. If you don't like me now, you never will. In the end it doesn't even matter if I'm liked. My family adores me, my husband treats me like a queen and my kids think I hung the moon. If I didn't agree, that would still be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment