Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Canceled, a Birthday Party


We had plans to attend a birthday party on Friday. Owen's friend is turning two. He and his mom are in our playgroup with us and we were really looking forward to attending but it's been canceled. Our friend lost her cousin to pneumonia at only 40 years old. He was a new father with twin 18 month old girls. He only had 18 months with his sweet baby girls. How unfair.

I didn't know him and I won't go to his funeral, but I'm thinking about him and he'll stay with me for a while. The thought of not being here for my children haunts me on a regular basis. Having someone die that is only a year older than me and a new parent like myself, just makes it hit a little closer to home.

My babies are sleeping but news like this makes me want to go upstairs, wake them up and hug them. I really am very lucky and I sometimes take it for granted, even though I go out of my way to try not to. It's hard to remember how amazing your life is sometimes.

I said to myself earlier today, "Wow, today is a perfect day." Everything worked out the way it was supposed to. I got something done that I needed to do, Owen got to do things he wanted to do, we finished the day off with a dip in his pool and I have over 100 pictures to show for it. A couple of them are really good. So, it was a good day for us.

We have friends that didn't have such a great day and it makes us sad. No one should die at 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment