Sunday, July 26, 2009

Does this diaper make my butt look big?


As a heavy chick, I’ve always worried about Owen being fat. I think genetically, he is screwed so I go out of my way to make sure the meals he gets are balanced and that he doesn’t eat crap. We don’t keep ho-hos, chocolate bars or pudding in the house and I am very against him ever eating French fries. French fries make you fat…period. I’m not saying I haven’t had them because I have, but he is my responsibility until he is 18 and he’ll eat what I give him, or he won’t eat. Also, I’m fat so this just proves my French fry theory, right?

At 6 months when Owen weight 22 pounds, I was beside myself and harping to his Pediatrician about my worries and him being fat. He started eating solids at 3 months and has seriously never looked back He eats everything I give him, for the most part. He’ll be 2 ½ next month and he weighs 46 pounds. He isn’t fat at all; he’s just a very big and tall kid. It took me a while to come to terms with the number on the scale not saying it all, but I think I’m OK with it now. Or at least I understand that Owen is just a big kid. Big feet, big hands, big heart.

I think River is a different story. She’s at the 50% for weight and 75% for length. She’s more of what I would consider “normal” as far as weight goes. She doesn’t have gigantic features and at 6 months, I just moved her into a size two diaper and they seem huge on her. I tell her and Owen both everyday how beautiful they are and how proud I am of them but I worry that the things they hear me say to my husband or to the mirror about myself may stick with them longer and that makes me sad.

I read an article at our Pediatricians office and looked it up when I got home. It was in the Washington Post and it’s about how women can push their weight issues onto their children. I thought it was a great article and posted the link below. While I know I would never criticize my children for eating when they were hungry or eating what I would consider too much, I wonder what they’ll pick up from my own body issues. I mean, there is no pink elephant here, I’m a heavy girl, I know this but I also have some kick ass self esteem and I just wonder how that will play in the ears of a 5 year old girl. I worry more about River than I do about Owen and I assume the only reason for that is because she’s a girl. I don't plan on being the parent that makes them finish everything on their plate because there are starving children in Africa because that argument is lame. No kids believes it and it just makes you grow up paying more attention to getting rid of food you don't want than listening to your inner voice telling you that you're full. I think it sets a kid up for disaster if they are more prone to weight issues. I DO know that the article made me stop calling Owen “chunky butt” cause that may be OK when they’re two, but getting out of the habit before it sticks is a really good idea.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Michelle, Lisa and I had the best talk today about weight issues and eating with our kids (Really just about Cora and myself). Remind me to tell you about that on Wednesday:-).

    ReplyDelete